Re: Anyone still sround here??

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 3:46:43=E2=80=AFPM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 6/4/2023 7:57 PM, Jim Davis wrote:=20
> > On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 3:35:21=E2=80=AFPM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wr=
ote:=20
> >> On 5/23/2023 2:21 PM, Petem wrote:=20
up and every one was helping the poster so that he would not have an easy s=
ell..=20
> >> I make big pieces of metal into little pieces of metal.=20
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> --=20
> >> Bob La Londe=20
> >> CNC Molds N Stuff=20
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> --=20
> >> www.avg.com=20
> >=20
> > Yeah, I've tried to rationalize that a number of times. If you don't co=
nsider the labor and machinery costs, drilling holes into and making a big =
piece of metal a smaller lighter piece of metal seems to be counter intuiti=
ve to charge money for that. I mean, if you added the labor and machinery c=
ost and made it BIGGER, it would seem more acceptable some how.=20
> > I'm thinking that the new advancements in 3D printers just might do tha=
t though - - - - Right?=20
> > Now you can REALLY charge a lot.=20
> > Now your making something out of nothing. 8->
> Which has more value? A couple pounds of raw dirt or a few ounces of=20
> cleaned and refined dirt shaped and processed to form a fine ceramic=20
> bowl to from which to eat your soup?=20
>=20
> Exact same thing. Slightly different dirt.=20
>=20
> How about a few tons of dirt or an engine block. Same thing.=20
>=20
> A few tons of dirt or the electrical windings in a motor.=20
>=20
> Metal casting or extrusion to machined part is just one step in the=20
> process from dirt to prized possession.=20
>=20
> 3D printing is just another way of going from dirt to part. Just=20
> slower. Sometimes it can assist in other processes as well.=20
>=20
> --=20
> Bob La Londe=20
> Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a=
=20
> real machinist

Yep. Everything comes from dirt.=20
ashes to ashes, dust to dust=20