Re: Anyone still sround here??

On 6/4/2023 7:57 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 3:35:21â?¯PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 5/23/2023 2:21 PM, Petem wrote:
>>> Missing the good old days of Bass trying to sell his stuff on the group and every one was helping the poster so that he would not have an easy sell..
>>>
>>> Been so long!
>>>
>>> now retired and living a good life with the wife kids and the 7 (soon to be 8) grand kids!
>>>
>>> Pierre
>> I make big pieces of metal into little pieces of metal.
>>

>> --
>> Bob La Londe
>> CNC Molds N Stuff
>>

>> --
>> www.avg.com
>
> Yeah, I've tried to rationalize that a number of times. If you don't consider the labor and machinery costs, drilling holes into and making a big piece of metal a smaller lighter piece of metal seems to be counter intuitive to charge money for that. I mean, if you added the labor and machinery cost and made it BIGGER, it would seem more acceptable some how.
> I'm thinking that the new advancements in 3D printers just might do that though - - - -  Right?
> Now you can REALLY charge a lot.
> Now your making something out of nothing. 8->

Which has more value?  A couple pounds of raw dirt or a few ounces of
cleaned and refined dirt shaped and processed to form a fine ceramic
bowl to from which to eat your soup?

Exact same thing.  Slightly different dirt.

How about a few tons of dirt or an engine block.  Same thing.

A few tons of dirt or the electrical windings in a motor.

Metal casting or extrusion to machined part is just one step in the
process from dirt to prized possession.

3D printing is just another way of going from dirt to part.  Just
slower.  Sometimes it can assist in other processes as well.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a