Re: The Worst Customer Service Issue I had In The Business

On 9/25/2022 3:58 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 9/25/2022 4:32 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 9/23/2022 11:58 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>>
>> Remember you are the one who mentioned STORY TIME.
>>

>>> Hi Bob,
>>> Thanks for the long story(s)!!  I have had a few similar but not enough
>>> to make long comments on.   One recently told me he was the
>>> "Owner/manager and needed some information.  I had to explain that I
>>> needed to have a conversation with MY contact person to figure out what
>>> happened and they will get back to you.................  Needless to say
>>> the conversation got real short.
>>>
>>> I have had some that I have told them to go with the other's that has
>>> given them a "below MY cost" price for a system.
>>
>> I get that sort of thing all the time.  "Well there is a _____ on
>> craigslist for only $___.__."
>>
>> "That's sounds like a better deal you should go buy that one."
>>
>> "well how about $___?"
>>
>> "You heard my price.  You rejected it.  Its no longer for sale."
>>
>> Now its story time.
>>
>> Probably the classic was a truck driver delivering a load of steel for
>> a job.  As I was toting the steel around with my tractor he was
>> wandering around my property looking at stuff.
>>
>> When I got back to the truck to sign the delivery bill he asks, "Are
>> you interested in selling that motorcycle over there?" as he points at
>> my Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak.
>>
>> "No I had not planned to sell it.  Most things are for sale for the
>> right price, but I have no plans to sell it."
>>
>> Then he began to grill me about it.  "How big is it?  What year is it?
>> What's wrong with it?"  It was kind of aggressive.  I answered his
>> questions, but I was kind of annoyed.  Then he demanded to know what I
>> wanted for it.
>>
>> "I told you I really don't plan to sell it.  If you really want it
>> make an offer."
>>
>> More aggressively he got in my face and demanded to know how much.  He
>> came dangerously close to making me feel like "defending myself."  I
>> periodically look up my stuff on NADA and KBB just to know what its
>> worth, so I had a pretty good idea of the value.  I threw a marginally
>> high number (High private party value per NADA.  Turned out I was
>> actually a little low when I looked it up again.) at him hoping he
>> would just get in his truck and leave.
>>
>> No such luck.  He went over and started doing an inspection of the
>> bike and comes back to tell me, "Its not the size you say it is, it
>> looks like it might have a fork leak, and it looks like its been
>> sitting for a while," and he rattles off a list of repairs he states
>> it will have to have.  It was the size I said.  Its printed on the
>> neck.  It didn't have a fork leak, and most of his repairs where just
>> service items that there is no way to tell if it needed or not.  Like
>> an oil change.  Some of it he was clearly just making up.
>>
>> "Okay if you don't want it that's fine.  I told you I didn't plan to
>> sell it anyway.  You have a nice day."

> [...]

A more positive story.

Many years ago I had installed a residential alarm for a hardware store
manager.  At some point I was asked to bid on an alarm system for a
large new store and processing plant.  I met with them and wrote it up
on the spot.  It was not a small system (for me) and had some involved
stuff to monitor the processing plant, but I had recently used similar
equipment on a smaller job.  When I handed the contract to the manager
he asked how long it would be until they had a quote.  He showed visual
surprise when I said, "That is the quote.  I can do it for that price."

Much later he told me that ADT commercial had some out to bid the job,
and they had been waiting for months for a quote.

I was able to provide all kinds of services for them as they asked over
the years primarily due to the constant improvements in service from
Arizona Security Controls which was my primary central station for over
20 of the 23 years I was in contracting.  (Maybe 22 out of 23.)

One day I got a call asking what they needed to do to cancel service
with me.  One of their VPs played golf with somebody from ShadowScan and
they promised to give all their business nationwide to ShadowScan.  I
was told their monthly rate was more than double what I had been
charging (I wasn't cheap for all the services they had), and they didn't
seem to know how to provide all the accessibility and services I was
providing.  Their service with me was still being cancelled, but they
needed to stay on service with me on a month to month basis until the
changeover.  They stayed on service with me on a month to month basis
for over a year.  I could be mixing up accounts in memory, but I seem to
recall I even linked in to reprogram it for them in the end.

I remained on good terms with the manager, and more than once or twice
he said he wished he was still on service with me.  That they still
didn't have all the features and services I provided with the help of Az
Security.

I played golf for a couple years, but I never made a deal on the golf
course, well except on my cell phone and obviously I could have been in
a pool hall or on a job site just as easily.  Maybe I should have taken
the game more seriously.  LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff