Re: The Worst Customer Service Issue I had In The Business

On 9/25/2022 4:32 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 9/23/2022 11:58 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
>
> Remember you are the one who mentioned STORY TIME.
>

>> Hi Bob,
>> Thanks for the long story(s)!!  I have had a few similar but not enough
>> to make long comments on.   One recently told me he was the
>> "Owner/manager and needed some information.  I had to explain that I
>> needed to have a conversation with MY contact person to figure out what
>> happened and they will get back to you.................  Needless to say
>> the conversation got real short.
>>
>> I have had some that I have told them to go with the other's that has
>> given them a "below MY cost" price for a system.
>
> I get that sort of thing all the time.  "Well there is a _____ on
> craigslist for only $___.__."
>
> "That's sounds like a better deal you should go buy that one."
>
> "well how about $___?"
>
> "You heard my price.  You rejected it.  Its no longer for sale."
>
> Now its story time.
>
> Probably the classic was a truck driver delivering a load of steel for a
> job.  As I was toting the steel around with my tractor he was wandering
> around my property looking at stuff.
>
> When I got back to the truck to sign the delivery bill he asks, "Are you
> interested in selling that motorcycle over there?" as he points at my
> Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak.
>
> "No I had not planned to sell it.  Most things are for sale for the
> right price, but I have no plans to sell it."
>
> Then he began to grill me about it.  "How big is it?  What year is it?
> What's wrong with it?"  It was kind of aggressive.  I answered his
> questions, but I was kind of annoyed.  Then he demanded to know what I
> wanted for it.
>
> "I told you I really don't plan to sell it.  If you really want it make
> an offer."
>
> More aggressively he got in my face and demanded to know how much.  He
> came dangerously close to making me feel like "defending myself."  I
> periodically look up my stuff on NADA and KBB just to know what its
> worth, so I had a pretty good idea of the value.  I threw a marginally
> high number (High private party value per NADA.  Turned out I was
> actually a little low when I looked it up again.) at him hoping he would
> just get in his truck and leave.
>
> No such luck.  He went over and started doing an inspection of the bike
> and comes back to tell me, "Its not the size you say it is, it looks
> like it might have a fork leak, and it looks like its been sitting for a
> while," and he rattles off a list of repairs he states it will have to
> have.  It was the size I said.  Its printed on the neck.  It didn't have
> a fork leak, and most of his repairs where just service items that there
> is no way to tell if it needed or not.  Like an oil change.  Some of it
> he was clearly just making up.
>
> "Okay if you don't want it that's fine.  I told you I didn't plan to
> sell it anyway.  You have a nice day."

> [...]

Very Very Good Stories Bob!!  Especially the Steel Delivery Guy!!
I really don't think I would have been quite so patient.

A number of years ago I was down near Philadelphia on my Honda Goldwing.
It was a beautiful day to ride.  Ended up in a traffic jam in the left
lane.  In the right lane beside me was a guy in this small sports car.
He winds down the window and says.  "Excuse me!!"  Yes??  "Nice Bike,
so what kind of gas mileage do you get on that??"
I say, "It really doesn't matter!!"   He says, "No really what is your
mileage??"  I say, "As I said "It doesn't MATTER, and the traffic is in
you lane is moving!!"  I pulled ahead, way ahead!!  He was pissed and
really did understand my comment.  Riding my Goldwing was more
pleasurable than being concerned about the mileage!!
So, it doesn't matter!!   :-)

Les