Re: Story

On 11/5/2022 1:46 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 11/4/2022 7:53 PM, ABLE1 wrote:

>>> I am published for article length work in motorcycling and fishing in
>>> newspaper and magazines.  (Maybe half a dozen pieces or so.)  Years
>>> ago I had a web page dedicated to motorcycle games, and White Horse
>>> Press contacted me to say, "Let us know when you are ready to publish
>>> your book."  I also chat with George Burliss from time to time
>>> (publisher editor?) with Home Shop Machinist Magazine.  My latest
>>> bigger project is a video series on manual machining with a piece of
>>> shit desktop manual mini mill.  I was hoping to sell George on a
>>> pairing it with a monthly article, but he seemed to want to dumb it
>>> down to much for my taste. That might just be my perception.
>>>
>>> I actually am a hunt and peck typist.  I took typing in high school
>>> (somehow I passed), and lots of computer programming in college, but
>>> I never felt comfortable with classical home row typing.  I developed
>>> my own system that uses some classic typing, and about seven fingers
>>> most of the rest of the time.  In high school at one point we were
>>> told we could type anything we wanted as long as we were typing.
>>> When I realized the instructor wasn't even collecting it I started
>>> writing porn.  I left a few copies on the bus, and pretty soon I had
>>> guys bidding to be the first to get my next fantasy adventure.  I
>>> burned out on that quick.  There are only so many ways to say Joe got
>>> the girl, and I was never into the weird stuff.
>>>
>>> In college I wrote a story about show of force vs outbreak of
>>> violence. It was a western short fiction piece.  The college magazine
>>> editor loved it as did several of the other magazine staff, but their
>>> academic advisor refused to let them publish it.  He was the classic
>>> left wing liberal academic before we called them left wing liberal
>>> academics. Considering some the really creepy stuff they did publish
>>> I was still surprised.
>>>
>>> I always wanted to write science fiction, but everything I wrote in
>>> that genre was basically juvenile wish fulfillment.  Joe space hero
>>> gets the girl, and the whole universe gives him ultimate power over
>>> everything. I never understood the social commentary of science
>>> fiction well enough to write truly good work like Heinlein (he also
>>> wrote some juvenile wish fulfillment) or Asimov.  I could read and
>>> understand it.  I just didn't understand that often that is more
>>> important than the science fiction adventure.  Of course there is the
>>> fantasy science meets real science like Larry Niven with Ring World
>>> or Neutron star, but I never had a good enough grasp of the science
>>> for that.
>>>
>>> Several years back I wrote an article for an outdoor magazine (that
>>> has since gone bankrupt), and it was a fiasco of brutal rewrites even
>>> after I cut out half the real content to meet their maximum word
>>> count.  Then they stiffed me.  They didn't even want to give me a
>>> copy of the issue with my article.  They said I could buy a
> [...]
Hey Bob, I understand.  There are far to many idiots on this planet that
will argue that this or that is wrong just get themselves heard louder
that somebody else.  It is even easier for them when they are not seen
or touched in person.  I see it a lot in the newsgroups by a select few
that object to everything no matter the topic.

Or even to boast a blatant lie as the truth and the more the lie is told
it is then believed to be true.  I would say more but then this
conversation (typing) would take a different turn and get shut down.

Your Mom did a good thing.  For you to have that memory is great!!
I am the oldest of 5 boys.  My Mom taught us all how to take care of
ourselves by teaching us how to cook, sew, clean, wash clothes because
as she said; "You need know how to do these things if there is no woman
in your life."  One of the first appliances that my wife and I got when
we got married was a sewing machine.  She didn't understand how to use
one.  She now comes to me for help when something needs sewed.  When she
goes to the beach with "the girls" for two weeks, I survive!! ;-)

As for business things, after working for others to meet their desires,
I decided I needed to build my own wall to climb over and be in charge
of me!!  Basically I was bored with my job.  My boss couldn't challenge
me so I started my business going on 34 years ago.  I have had problems
(we all have) with various things.  But, I figured it out and moved
ahead.

BTW when I took my typing class in 9th grade, I could type 34 words
per minute.  The mistakes were another thing.  Today, I have not tested
my speed but it may be almost as good.  Maybe I will have to give that
a go and see what it is.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=typing+test+online&qs=OS&pq=typing+test+on+line&sc=7-19&cvid=07F7FB73596C4B8F9CB2931DC7902422&FORM=QBRE&sp=1&ghc=1

Just got this!!!  Not to shabby!!  :-)

SPEED     31 WPM