Re: OT Jeopardy Winner 12/15/2022

On 12/21/2022 7:10 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 11:12:28 AM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
>
>> Most of my cousins spell their names as one word, but I can assure you
>> their dad's were born La Londe, not Lalonde even if they allowed
>> bureaucrats to change it at the DMV or just decided it was easier. I
>> know both of my La Londe uncles now mispell their name for public use.
>> Its just easier. I'm a bit more of a rock. I'll refuse to do business
>> with people who won't let me spell my name correctly and I took my birth
>> certificate with me to make sure my name was correct at the DMV 40+
>> years ago.
>>
>> One lady who runs an air gun parts store online said "I don't see why
>> its a big deal for you to just take the space out."
>>
>> I told her, "That would be fraud. That is not my name."
>> --
>> www.avg.com
>
> So as it turns out Bob, we just may be distantly, indirectly related.
> Seems my uncle (Donald Nugent, mothers brother) Married a Carmen La Londe. They lived in a small little city in upstate NY called Ogdensburg, Right on the St Lawrence River. (Across from Canada) They had (I think) 3 kids ( 2 boys and a girl) Lived in Niagara Falls of all places right down the street from the Love Canal. Which, if you remember, was the subject of a huge media water pollution scandal back in the 70's.
> .
> My uncle, a prisoner of war during the WW II Battle of the Bulge, doing a hundreds of mile forced walk, survived that and died of cancer late 80's . (Hmmmm) My aunt Carmen ( if I remember the family history correctly) went on and got re-married to a catholic priest who gave up the ministry to marry her.
> .
> I haven't been in contact with those cousins since before my uncles death so I don't know anything about them. But I do have another cousin in Ohio who says she occasionally talks to my cousin Kenny the youngest boy.
> .
> By the way, my father was born in Canada, (1916) in a log cabin far up north in a logging camp in Winnipeg  , My grandfather was a lumber jack. I think I've mentioned that here before. My father told me some really great stories about living in the lumber camp. So anyway, I'm half Canuk.  Eh?

The story is in the late 1600s the oldest La Londe in our line was a
French NCO who chose to stay in America (Canada I think) when his last
enlistment was up.  He was then a black smith and a constable after the
service.

My aunt went down the genealogy rabbit hole 25ish years ago, and that is
whet she said she discovered.