Re: Did you miss me?

On 9/30/2021 7:05 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, September 30, 2021 at 2:36:36 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Way WAAAAYYYY way back i used to pay a fee to Aol but then they started offering it free so I stopped paying and just continued to use it. As of now, I use it but just as an autonomous mail service. That is - - - I don't have the app on my computer and don't even use Outlook or any kind of message organizer. I don't do any alarm business on line so it's no inconvenience.
>>> When I want to Emai, I just go to the AOL website and sign in using the names and passwords I've use for centuries. I've actually got 4 separate account that I use in the event that I want to remain super anonymous for any reason.
>>> I'm in NY But hardly anyone knows exactly where. Bass came kinda close when he was looking to "get" me. But he had me located in a town about 40 miles away where my ISP is located.
>>> For some reason back when I first started using Usenet, I went on it anonymously right off the bat. Today, not even Google knows who I am and I'm not on any of the social media groups or even Linkdin. My bank offers a service that makes it so I don't have to give anyone my real credit card number. So that end is pretty well covered too.
>>> I guess that It all stems from the fact that I consider people guilty until proven innocent. That's my interpretation of Billy Joel's "I'm in a New York state of mind"
>>> What's that old saying? " Paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness"
>>>
>> I've never looked for you. Is that a challenge? I hunted a guy once,
>> and the only reason I didn't get him is the FBI (one I) got him first.
>> They had more money and better resources.
>>
>> I'm kidding. I have no need to know where you are or even if Jim is
>> your real name. Not about the other part. The FBI really did get him
>> first.
> No challenge. I'm not that important.
> BUT
> I don't have much respect for the FBI.
> I have seen first hand how they can railroad someone right into federal prison. The guy was my customer and as side work he repaired motor cycles in his little one car garage on weekends and evenings. A couple of the members of a local Hell's Angels group brought their bikes there for repair. My customer never rode with them but after some members were arrested on some federal crimes, they got my customers name and manufactured some story that allowed them to arrest my customer as an accessory and sent him to federal prison for five years.
> I continued to monitor his home at no charge for his family until he was released and they moved away. There's more to the story but that's the gist of it. I still monitor the alarm system for his sister-in-law. It's been about 10 or more years ago now They're doing OK but it's always going to be a blemish on him.

I suspect FBI agents are like other government agents.  Some want to do
the job and enforce the spirit of the law.  Some are on a mission driven
by ambition.  Some are on a mission driven by almost religious fervor
regadless of the law or to the extreme most minute detail of the law.  A
few I am sure are totally out of control.  I've only met a couple in
passing and I can't really make any general conclusion as a whole.  I've
had a few federal agents as customers, (Justice, DHS, BPS, Customs,
etc...) and one or two who have been ocassional fishing partners.  Of
those I know in more than passing most seem to be pretty reasonable
types.  Admittedly most I know in that capacity are higher ups who are
not necessarily on a holy mission or driven by ambition.  They seem to
understand that grey isn't necessarily right, but hard division of black
and white almost never is.

I've also dealt with one or two BATFE agents in their official capacity.
My dad more than me.  He had an FFL in his country hardware store.  (I
have a collectors license myself, and have considered a regular dealers
license once or twice.)  Every BATFE agent I dealt with was atleast
modestly reasonable and some were downright helpful.  Less looking to
score a collar and more driven to make sure I don't get myself in
trouble or have issues with other agents.  If you follow any of the pro
gun political channels the BATFE gets a pretty bad rap, and some agents
certainly deserve it based on the verifiable stories about them.  The
thing is in my limited experience they were more reasonable than that.

The only real overall issue I have with federal agents is the system
more than the agents themselves.  Civil asset forfeiture abuses are a
systemic issue.  Qualified immunity protecting bad ones from egregious
(sometimes pretty horrific) violations is a systemic issue.