Re: SooooOOOOOOOOOO ?

On 6/5/2021 12:28 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

> I may or may not have shared this before.  As most of you know I am a
> life long independent biker.  A 99%-er if you will LOL.  I would still
> be a biker, and I still enjoy riding for a very short time, but what my
> fishing partner and personal physician tells me is likely PTSD from a
> BAD wreck in the early 2000s causes me to quickly stop enjoying the
> ride.  A short ride into town to visit the post office is fine, but
> before I can consider a second stop I find myself headed home on
> autopilot.  I can't wait to get the bike back in the garage and shut
> down.  I still have 3 bikes, but I have not had one out of the shop or
> garage in 3-4 years.
>
> Anyway, some years back a buddy of mine who was one of the chapter
> founding members of VNV MC Chapter G (Ghost Chapter) often asked me to
> hang around.  I was never a prospect, and was never a prospect for a
> prospect.  I wasn't really a hang-a-round either.  I am not qualified to
> be a member of VNV MC or Legacy Vets MC.  I just went because my buddy
> and I liked to ride together.  Except on official sanctioned runs we
> would always run side by side.  On sanctioned runs I had to ride behind
> everybody due to protocol or I would get disinvited.  Yes, I had to ride
> behind even the hang-a-rounds.  LOL.  One year the Chapter P (could have
> been the SA I forget) specifically invited me and a few other people to
> ride along for their Memorial Day run.  Basically visiting cemeteries
> and finishing off at an American Legion hall.  They wanted us to swell
> their numbers for visibility sake.  I figured why not.  Its as good of a
> way to honor dead veterans as any, and I would get to spend the day
> riding my motorcycle.  I wore my regular warm weather gear.  Jeans, long
> sleeve loose fitting t-shirt, and a denim vest with just an American
> flag patch and ABATE of Arizona patch ON THE FRONT.  I never had any
> patch on the back of my vest.
>
> Slight interlude here.  Recently on social media a few people sought to
> preempt "incorrect" ways of observing memorial days with lists of rules
> or prejudgments.  I found it to be a little bit disengenuous
> judgmentalism.  Kind of like the woke/cancel/sjw culture of today exudes
> in abundance.  From what I saw of most older real combat veterans they
> will tolerate, except, or even rejoice in any sincere recognition of
> those who didn't make it back.  I posted a slightly different, ut
> equally accurate version of this story in reply each time I saw one of
> those lists.
>
> At our first stop on the Memorial Day run I had a little old lady walk
> up to me stick out her hand and thank me.  I'm not a veteran either
> combat or otherwise.  I was embarrassed.  I wasn't trying to represent
> myself as anything I wasn't but I also didn't want to embarrass the
> little old lady.  I st6uck my hand out in return shook her hand and told
> her I hope she has a fantastic life... or something like that.

> [...]

Good story Bob,
The little old lady was doing what she felt she needed to do because it
was right.  There need not be any second guessing or whatever.  I will
thank you for showing up and paying your respects to those that have
fallen.  Good job!!

I don't remember if I typed this story here or not in the past.
My Dad was in the Battle of the Bulge.  He never talked about his on
duty days.  One day a number of years ago before he had passed my Mom
called me and said she got a call from a guy by the name of Steve that
was the son of one my Dad's Platoon guys.  He said he was in the area
and wanted to know if he could stop in and say hello.  I asked when was
he going to be there, my Mom said Saturday morning but I didn't need to
be there.  I said, Oh yes I do!!  See you Saturday Mom!!

I arrived on Saturday and about an hour later Steve shows up. With
introductions all around Steve then told a story.  BTW at the time
my Dad had Parkinson's and Alzheimer's so his yesterday memories were
lost.  But, memories from 50 years before were sharp as a tack!!!

Steve said that his Dad had died a year or so before.  He said that his
Dad was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge.  He was shot in the leg
and was down.  The German gunner was about the finish him off and my
Dad came around the tank and took out the German.  His Dad was then sent
home.  His Dad and my Dad had exchanged letters over the years and when
his Dad had died he and his sisters were going through some old stuff
his Dad kept in a closet.  He found the letters and the story of what
had happened.  He said that he wanted to meet the man that saved his
Dad's life because if he hadn't he would not be here today!!

It was a VERY SPECIAL MOMENT!!  Even now, trying to type this for me
is difficult!!!

There is a whole lot more to the that special moment and after that I
may type at another time but not today!!

Thanks for reading!!

Les