Re: Napco panel master code question

"Jim Davis"  wrote in message
news:4a8af9e2-6ed4-4c13-9970-38404b46f2fa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 9:58:00 AM UTC-4, szig...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone who has helped me with questions regarding my
> Napco alarm system.
>
> I have the quickloader software and am able to upload and download with no
> issues.
>
> I have a P3200 panel and I see a master Security code, download security
> code, dealer keypad program code on it.
>
> My parents have a Gemini 816 panel and I only see a download security code
> box no Master.
>
> If we ever needed something done to the 816 panel that I could not do and
> the installer needed the code they could change it and lock us out since
> there is no master security code? Am I correct? Why is there no Master
> security code on the 816 or is there a setting I need to do to see that
> appear on the quickloader?
>
> Just trying to be careful so we don't get locked out in the future if
> someone works on the panel?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'd guess that it was just the manufacturers choice not to provide as much
security on a less expensive panel.

Also, you have to know that the manufacturer (Napco) is not typically
considered a DIY friendly company.

The 816 is basically a 1632 lite.  The 1632 was my main middle of the road
panel for ages.  When I switched over to Napco I probably installed more of
them than any other panel, although I did have a fair number of P800/801
panels for "cheap" customers.  I actually liked that it had one code, and
that it wasn't on the eeprom ID sticker.  The X255 was my industrial panel
almost as soon as it came out.  I never really cared for the 3200, but the
9600 was just fine.  Maybe it was differences in date ranges and program
stability.

FYI:  The hack I found for the P1632 code didn't work on the later panels.