Re: Sprinkler Valve Hook-Up

On 6/19/2019 5:10 AM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 6/18/2019 9:26 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>> On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 6:53:08 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>>> Hey you's guys,
>>>
>>> I am connecting a Fire Alarm system to a new sprinkler system.
>>> The valves installed are a bit different in that the connection
>>> where the wire leads exit the valve body has a unknown
>>> female thread.
>>>
>>> http://www.aleumusa.com/products/but...e-grooved-300/
>>>
>>> It is smaller than a 1/2" NPT so I can't use a Chase Nipple into a
>>> box for the wire splice. There was a rubber threaded hex nut
>>> already installed but I don't think it will hold up as a metal
>>> Chase Nipple.
>>>
>>> This rubber plug appears to have a straight thread not a tapered
>>> which is also odd. The outside diameter of the threads is .790".
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what kind of thread this might be and/or
>>> what can be used to adapt to it in order to make a secure
>>> connection of a junction box??
>>>
>>> Sadly the instructions are skimpy on the details.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assist,
>>>
>>> Les
>>
>> Sorry, can't help you. But you might be able to take an impression of
>> the thread with some clay or duct seal and bring it to a pluming shop.
>> They may be able to come up with something for you. Also, die sets
>> come with a thread matching tool. If you don't have a die set try a
>> machine shop. I'm guessing that it's metric.
>>

> Jim,
>
> I am guessing you might be right.  However, the Mfg. Sales Rep
> said it was a US Standard.  I got more specific with him and
> he said he would have to check with the home office.....
> in Korea, and was to get back to me......... yesterday.......
>
> Thinking he lost my number........ I am calling again today.
>
> Boggles the mind!!!  Oh, I am trying to type NICELY!!  :-)
>
> Les

I know a guy who could match that thread right up.  Just take it off and
send it to him.  Bob something I think.

I've run across a number of threads on Chinese parts that seem odd, but
unless its an outdoor sprinkler riser usually you can find something
good enough to jam on there so you can make your connections.  Probably
its something the guy on the shop floor just invented because nobody
told him what it was supposed to be.  100-150 years ago or so that was a
real problem.  Every shop wanted to make their own thread.