Re: Up in An Attic In August in Yuma Arizona

On 8/16/2018 7:54 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 8:02:07 AM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> In the northeast we also have very old houses.  With full finished
>> attics, basement ceilings covered with drywall, crawl spaces that have=

>> little or no access with mud and rocks, walls built with REAL 2" x 4"
>> studs, fire breaks between the wall framing studs that are never at th=
>> same level above the floor, full size additions that can't be reached
>> without blasting with a "quarter-stick" or two.  Boom!!
>>
>> Then there is new construction. Always wanted to be the last doing the=

>> rough-in.  Except you find out that the electrician forgot a piece of
>> romex wire and decided to use your wire holes because it was easier th=
an
>> drilling new holes.  Or drilled through a stud into your wires, and ma=
de
>> repairs by twisting the colors together and then taping with his black=

>> tape roll.  Or the Comcast guy that decided to use your pull string fo=
>> his single RG6 Quad and didn't bother to put the string back, just lef=
>> it on a pile with his cable.  I hope he reads this someday........soon=
=2E

>> Ahhh and so it goes, the trails and tribulations of the low voltage
>> installer..................
>>
>> Les
> PLUMBERS!!!!!
>
> I have a dream =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=
=80=A6!!!

> Now maybe it's just the luck of the draw for me but on more occasions t=
han other trades =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6 plumbers I find are the MOST inconsid=
erate.

> Got to sweat a joint near the alarm wires??  NO PROBLEM! Just do it. Th=
e wire insulation wont melt THAT much.

> Got to run a pipe through a beam perpendicular to the main alarm wire r=
un in the basement. NO PROBLEM! Either stretch the wires out of the way u=
ntil they break or there's no way to tell if they're broken under the ins=
ulation or not. Or just cut them, drill your hole and run your pipe.

> "Because pipe is rigid and wire can be spliced a lot easier than rerout=
ing pipe."

> BUT =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6 don't bother telling the GC, builder, homeowner.=
 It can wait until the alarm guy comes back to do the final hookup to dis=
cover that he's got to add a length a wire between the two cut cable ends=
 of 25 wires to get around the PVC waste pipe that they forgot to run.

> MY Dream ????
>
> I can see myself running a single four wire along a beam in the basemen=
t and low and behold I come to a 4 inch PVC waste pipe running perpendicu=
lar to my wire run. So, I get out the ol hack saw, cut out a one foot sec=
tion of the pipe and continue my nice straight wire run.

> YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!
>
> I just remembered another event that REAAAALLY pissed me off.
>
> Installed an alarm panel on a plywood wall board down in the basement a=
nd had system operational. Shortly after the job is completed, I get a se=
rvice call that the alarm system has problems. I go to the job site, down=
 in the basement and find that the telephone installation company needed =
space and my alarm panel "was in the way". They had dismounted the panel =
from the board and hung it up by the wires on a nail above the wall board=
 and mounted the telephone KSU and all the telephone hardware taking up a=
ll the space on the wall board. I can't tell you how pissed off I was and=
 was just about ready to show the business owner what they had done and o=
r call the company but =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6 somehow my si=
nister sense took over and I contained my rage. I told the owners that I =
knew what was wrong and would have to schedule more time to correct the  =
problem. I had to come back to put up a new wall board, extend all the wi=
res going to the panel to reach the new panel location. BUT, when I went =
home that first day, I went down to my grinding wheel and gathered a hand=
 full of metal powder that gets captured in the grinding wheel protectors=
=2E When I returned to the job I brought the filings. I arranged to work =
late after the owners left and the last thing I did before I left was to =
blow the iron powder on to the printed circuit boards in the KSU. I never=
 said a word to the owner or anyone about what they had done. Even though=
 the business owner had to suffer along with them, the Telephone service =
people spent a small fortune troubleshooting that system for months and u=
ltimately found out(Because I eventually found an opportunity to ask the =
owners) "We got rid of them. We had continuous problems with them so we g=
ot someone else."
>   (HE HE HE HEH HEH HEH HEH HA HA HAAH HAAH HAAAaaA) (evil laughter)
>
> YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
((( nice touch on the filings) flat soda pop (no co2) can also do=20
wonders to electronics..)))

Just remember plumbers have to pass a final inspection..
there's always a chance that a "small hole" might appear in a vent pipe=20
somewhere=C2=A0 (hehe)
that will keep them from getting that "pressure seal" test approved..
Causing them endless hours of checking to fine that leak..
and wouldn't you know it usually turns out to be in the attic under=20
insulation or in a wall cavity....

and electricians also have problems with nicks in "L" wires in metal=20
J-boxes. or missing wire nuts..

Gremlins can run rampant around unfriendly construction sites...

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*