Re: Up in An Attic In August in Yuma Arizona

On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 5:44:10 PM UTC-4, Hogan wrote:
> Hi,=20
>=20
> I have worked in the far south, where the attics in the summer are at abo=
ut 140 deg+ w/no ventilation fans, nor ridge-vents, and you only allow your=
self 5-8 min at most. One such journey, was in an attic with scissor-trusse=
s that allow a cathedral ceiling in the room below. There was at most a 24"=
 clearance at the peak, by about 30" wide in a triangular space (not square=
 truss access), but I had to get to the other side of the house for wiring.=
 As I crawled thru, I noticed a carpenter ant nest in the batt insulation w=
here I needed to pass. I figured I could go over them with 4-5 inches clear=
ance and did so successfully. After I finished my wiring, I had to go back =
thru the same pathway. Well, by then, my vibrations after having gone over =
them the 1st time, had seriously agitated them. By now, my breathing was la=
bored and it is afternoon hot-sun time, and I have to get out since I have =
spent my precious time slot away. Somehow, I was able to slowly crawl with =
only my hands and toes on the rafters, while there was by now about a hundr=
ed or so of them in an agitated 'bite-him-now' mood. I did make it to coole=
r pastures and never dared to do that again. If they had gotten to me, I pr=
obably would have just jumped thru the drywall ceiling and told the custome=
r that the ants overpowered me. Enjoy.
>=20
> Hogan

Hi Hogan, Welcome.

In Les's case above, at least the "smell" would have attracted someone even=
tually.=20

But in your situation, through the drywall ceiling would have been my exit =
also. Because otherwise, I would have envisioned me as a picked to the bone=
 skeleton sitting in the attic for eternity. And the homeowners every once =
in a while saying " Hey =E2=80=A6.. I wonder what ever happened to that ala=
rm guy who was working here"=20