Re: Honeywell Compass

On 9/24/2017 12:42 PM, E D wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> Yes, that is what I am saying. It is actually the NX586E direct connect unit. I just checked in my van to make sure. On my laptop, it is DL900 v3.01, Database 42.00, Data file 40.00, Direct connect panel table version 0, Copyright 1999.
>
> I think that I acquired this about 2004-05. I was using it just to make it faster to program a panel, since you could set up about 3 panel configurations on the direct connect unit itself.
>
> I 'happened' to be talking to a 'tech' whom I pleaded to help me get into a panel, and he roundaboutly mentioned that once you are directly connected to a panel with the direct connect unit, you 'might' be able to disconnect the red/black/green wires from the already connected board, and then you 'might' be able to connect it to 'another' panel board laying around, and then you just 'might' be able to then just read that 'other' panel...
>
> ...that would be how I have been doing it, maybe.
>
> It's kind of like Harrison Ford, in his old movie about the Ark, where this guy comes at him with swords, and he starts using his whip, but then thinks, and then just shoots him with his pistol.
>
> They made the 'thing' with all kinds of precautionary preventions, but forgot to safeguard the integrity of the connection, so that the units can be switched out. Lack of logic.
>
> In the same way, if you read up on Mona T. Ronics, just switching the chip on any locked Honey Dew board gives you access to all programming... and all info already on it. With this brand, it is way faster to do, no software to even run.
>
> I say this, just in case you were curious...
>
> Have a great day, and enjoy your future panel takeovers.

Interesting, to say the least.  Remind self to print for future maybeys.

I do very few takeovers.  And not any NX panels.  But it is nice to
know that if I have one of mine that I did a dumb thing on, that
there is a back door.

Can only wonder which of the "tech's" you were pleading with.

When I call I usually get the tech standard comment.

"Never heard of that before."
That is because I am the guy that finds the problem first!!

Thanks,

Les