Re: Camera Mirror Setup

Hi Les,

I like this one challenge of yours. I am intrigued and curious about the la=
y of the roof; flat, hip roof, or gable, size, etc. There are a lot of pitf=
alls as others have correctly pointed out. But, there is always a way to ge=
t things done!

Snow/ice on the roof that did not melt, would also probably mean that the c=
onvex mirror would have snow/ice on it also, unless it was heated. Your cam=
era would need to be in a well-heated enclosure also, as I am sure that you=
 are aware of. It also depends how far up north you are. A convex mirror in=
 serious minus-degrees Fahrenheit may not fare well either. It would be nic=
e to have a sketch somehow of the lay of the roof with pitch indicated. I d=
o have a bit of experience in the construction field also from a former lif=
e ago.

Other alternatives: Is there not a way to install temperature sensors at di=
fferent places to secondarily monitor the roof this way. These could be tie=
d to an alarm zone(s). Depending on the construction of the roof, some can =
even be installed on the reverse side to monitor roof temperature.

If you can share the address without compromising anything, I would be will=
ing to check some views from above for you. A picture is worth a thousand w=
ords.

You also could possibly use a 360deg camera, or (2) 180deg cameras, simply =
elevated above the roof, pointing downward on a very sturdy tripod-reinforc=
ed pole, in the middle of the roof. Would that not possibly work for the vi=
ew of ice and snow accumulation? There are then no mirrors and not even sno=
w to obstruct the view of the cam(s), as they are pointing downward. It all=
 depends on your wiring access to the DVR.

Your convex mirror idea is possible, but it depends on the mirror(s) never =
getting dirty or iced or snowed out, nor out of alignment...it could be fin=
ancially great if you want recurring service calls.=20

...And here comes one of those Canadian geese happily floating down and he =
lands on that convex mirror and, startled by his distorted reflection, scre=
ams out frantically his geese cackle as he accidentally relieves himself on=
 that beautiful mirror!=20