Re: Camera Mirror Setup

"ABLE1" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:xpKSB.77690$zb.38439@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On 11/26/2017 7:28 PM, doug wrote:
>>
>> I have had good results using a charger and battery to power IP cameras,
>> network switches and wireless bridges when the only power source has been
>> timer or photo cell controlled lights.
>>
>> I use a 12 volt 18AH battery charged from a NOCO Gen1 10Amp charger
>> For the wireless bridge I use Ubiquiti products.
>
> Ok Doug,
>
> I did some thinking on this setup.
>
> I am having a little challenge in that how are you powering
> the equipment, especially the Ubiquiti WiFi device.
>
> As like EnGenius most are PoE powered.
>
> So which unit are you using??  Or are you powering
> a PoE injector on 12vdc some how??
>
> Of the top of my head it would seem you are using an
> inverter to provide 120vac that converts to PoE at
> 48vdc for the equipment.
> I know that makes no sense but..................
>
> Please explain what you are using, like model numbers, etc.
>
> I have a feeling that my problem is going to be the amount
> of time the lights are actually powered.  I know they come
> on with photo sensor, but something tells me they use a
> clock to turn off at maybe 11pm.  That would mean that
> I would only get about 6 hours of power, maybe, in the
> winter.  Shorter in the summer.
>
> Maybe that can be adjusted.
>
> Please enlighten me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

I don't use an inverter, everything is powered from 12VDC.
The IP cameras using the 12VDC input that most IP cameras have, even if they
are POE capable.

The Ubiquiti Nanostations will run on 12VDC even though they are designed to
operate with and come with 24v(not 48v) POE supplies.
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Installation/12-Volts-for-ubnt-devices/td-p/1415909

For some reason they are designed to use 24vdc POE rather than the regular
48v which is a PITA sometimes as you need these
https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/instant-8023af-adapters/ if you want to
make them 802.3af compliant and run them off a regular POE switch, but they
run fine on 12vdc.

I use a passive POE injector for about $5 or less such as this from WiFi
Texas
https://www.amazon.com/Passive-injector-Power-over-Ethernet/dp/B00EBCGJVW or
something similar to this https://www.adafruit.com/product/435

You can find similar injectors all over Amazon, eBay etc.
The passive injector allows you feed the 12VDC into the Ubiquiti device or
you can just feed the power into the
blue/white & brown/white wires of the cat5 cable but the injectors make a
neater installation.

If I have more than one IP camera and have to use a switch then I don't use
a POE switch, just a regular switch with a small DC-DC step down supply to
power the switch at whatever voltage the switch uses, normally somewhere
between 5 & 9VDC.

For a simple wireless bridge I use a pair of Nanostation loco M5 at about
$65 each
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nanostation+locom5&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=190489696748&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15563440190386496699&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031556&hvtargid=kwd-498699550272&ref=pd_sl_6kfys3fa0n_e

If I have several buildings then I use a Nanostation at each building with a
Rocket M5 base station about $85 at the head end.

The antennas are built into the Nanostations, but the Rocket base stations
require an antenna, there are Omni-directional, 90 and 120 degree available.
The 5GHz antennas are quite small and unobtrusive but the 2.4GHz are large
and can be
unsightly.

The M5 series are 5GHz, they also have 2.4GHz (M2)and 900MHz (M900)

I have used the 5GHz and 2.4GHz but not the 900MHz.

Doug