Re: Camera Mirror Setup

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 1:19:36 PM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I am curious if anyone has used a convex mirror that is focused on with=
=20
> a camera from a distance to see in the opposite direction??
>=20
> I have a project that involves getting a view of a roof. The problem is=
=20
> that the roof is the only place for the camera to be mounted and getting=
=20
> the right view is a challenge. So I was wondering if a convex mirror=20
> were mounted on a light pole and zoom in on the convex mirror would=20
> provide the necessary view.
>=20
> Now I know physically and technically it is possible. What I don't know=
=20
> are what are the challenges or unknown problems involved in setting this=
=20
> up.
>=20
> The camera distance to the convex mirror will be about 60' and I will=20
> need at least a 60mm lens to zoom in on the mirror.
>=20
> Anyone here ever done this and what are the difficulties experienced??
>=20
> Thanks in advance for any insight.
>=20
> Les

Hi Les,

I haven't tried anything like that but ...... things that come to mind are:

reflected IR light from the camera ( or you could use another source of IR =
strategically placed)   and just regular direct or reflected sunlight, stre=
et lights, headlights and certainly ( as mentioned) at that distance vibrat=
ion of any type would be magnified ..... a lot. You are also going to have =
to have a sizeable or "not so domed" mirror to diminish the "fisheye" effec=
t successfully ..... if ...... at all. I don't know if those mirrors come i=
n varying size domes.=20

Sounds like a great experiment but can you afford it if it fails?=20

Maybe you could submit it to "MythBusters" for a trial run.=20

A kennel of Dobermans set up on the roof might be a surer option.