Re: Cellular Radio.

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 2:08:06 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 11/30/2017 10:03 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>  > Both Verizon and ATT provide Cellular "Boosters" for customer who use=
=20
> their cellular service but can't get a good signal in their home. I'm=20
> thinking that they are just providing a connection between the customers=
=20
> cell phone and the LAN to obtain VoIP telephone service. But I'm=20
> thinking it may be something more than that because I think if you turn=
=20
> off the WiFi on your cell phone you can still get on the Internet.
>  >   Does anyone know if a Cellular alarm radio can use this "Booster"=20
> to transmit signals to central station?
>  >
>=20
> Actual cellular boosters are available.  I have one on my shop so I=20
> don't have to go outside to make and receive calls.  My cell actually=20
> works better inside (before the booster) if I turned wiFi VOIP=20
> redundancy off on my phone.  Doesn't seem to be an option with my new=20
> phone.  I also have a VOIP phone ap installed on my phone so I can use=20
> my MagicJack account from my phone anywhere in the shop if I want to.=20
> Not that I have an issue with air time.  The Magic Jack number is just=20
> the phone number I use for CNC Molds N Stuff.
>=20
> For your cellular alarm communicator you can get sims for different=20
> carriers depending on the vendor.  Sometimes you may need to order a=20
> different unit if CDMA is best (Verizon usually). Use which ever has the=
=20
> best signal strength in the area, (Out west its almost always Verizon)=20
> and then the next step is to install a high gain antenna in a nonvisible=
=20
> (from the ground) outdoor antenna on your cellular communicator.=20
> Sometimes using the high gain antenna was enough even indoors.  Heck=20
> sometimes even in the attic is great.  I've even installed directional=20
> beam VHF antennas in attics with good results too.
>=20
> That being said the other vendors have all been improving their=20
> coverage.  (Except maybe AT&T)  They can't compete on price if they=20
> can't cover the clients needs.

Yeah I can get cellular radios for various carriers but there's hardly any =
signal at all in the area. The electrician has and Android with ATT and no =
signal at all.  I have Verizon Iphone and I was able to get text message bu=
t calls were spotty. Had to go outside to stay connected. So obviously ther=
e's some signal there. But the alarm panel is on the first floor in a close=
t in the middle of the house (this is a takeover ) and this house was built=
 by the owner who is in the transit mix cement and mason business. It's lik=
e a stone fortress. Getting to the out side or to the second floor or attic=
 with a wire, is probably not going to happen. The floor between the first =
floor and basement is made of concrete with radiant heating.=20

Customer wants remote control of alarm system and I've been using cellular =
(Napco Starlink) to do that. =20

I was pretty sure the "Boosters" that the phone companies provided where ju=
st converting phone calls to VoIP via the LAN but wanted to be sure.