Re: Cellular Radio.

On 11/30/2017 10:03 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
 > Both Verizon and ATT provide Cellular "Boosters" for customer who use
their cellular service but can't get a good signal in their home. I'm
thinking that they are just providing a connection between the customers
cell phone and the LAN to obtain VoIP telephone service. But I'm
thinking it may be something more than that because I think if you turn
off the WiFi on your cell phone you can still get on the Internet.
 >   Does anyone know if a Cellular alarm radio can use this "Booster"
to transmit signals to central station?

Actual cellular boosters are available.  I have one on my shop so I
don't have to go outside to make and receive calls.  My cell actually
works better inside (before the booster) if I turned wiFi VOIP
redundancy off on my phone.  Doesn't seem to be an option with my new
phone.  I also have a VOIP phone ap installed on my phone so I can use
my MagicJack account from my phone anywhere in the shop if I want to.
Not that I have an issue with air time.  The Magic Jack number is just
the phone number I use for CNC Molds N Stuff.

For your cellular alarm communicator you can get sims for different
carriers depending on the vendor.  Sometimes you may need to order a
different unit if CDMA is best (Verizon usually). Use which ever has the
best signal strength in the area, (Out west its almost always Verizon)
and then the next step is to install a high gain antenna in a nonvisible
(from the ground) outdoor antenna on your cellular communicator.
Sometimes using the high gain antenna was enough even indoors.  Heck
sometimes even in the attic is great.  I've even installed directional
beam VHF antennas in attics with good results too.

That being said the other vendors have all been improving their
coverage.  (Except maybe AT&T)  They can't compete on price if they
can't cover the clients needs.