Re: Extending battery Capacity during long Power outages

On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 17:00:14 UTC-7, NickMark  wrote:
> On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 8:44:27 AM UTC-4, Medtech1 wrote:
> > Does anyone know of potential issues extending battery capacity on a se=
curity alarm system by just added a cabinet, and running 4 x 8amp/hr batter=
ies in parallel instead of the typical single 7amp/hr battery.
> >=20
> > The charge circuit on a security system would be limited to a maximum c=
harge current, but all I can see for issues are:
> >=20
> > 1) Longer to charge after a discharge
> > 2) batteries should be same age, amp/hr to reduce changes of overchargi=
ng
> > 3) ??
> >=20
> > Some comments I've seen from people is they thought more batteries coul=
d overload the charging cct.. but, battery charges would have a maximum out=
put amperage... (take alot longer to recharge) so I don't understand how th=
at would occur..=20
> >=20
> > This must be a common thing to do in places where storms are common and=
 they need the alarm system to have backup power (non-generator) for a day =
or two?
> >=20
> > Thanks!
> > Michelle
>=20
> the problem is with the charger which may not have enough power to keep b=
atterys charged properly typical max most panels is 18 amp

Thanks for the responses.

I can monitor the charge voltage/current.. I would imagine the charge volta=
ge itself would be a few volts above... so 14 volts or so.   Can a person a=
dd another separate charger to the batteries in parallel with the existing =
battery leads from the alarm board?   or how can one isolate them?