Re: Extending battery Capacity during long Power outages

On Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 10:12:00 AM UTC-4, Medtech1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 17:00:14 UTC-7, NickMark  wrote:
> > On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 8:44:27 AM UTC-4, Medtech1 wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of potential issues extending battery capacity on a =
security alarm system by just added a cabinet, and running 4 x 8amp/hr batt=
eries in parallel instead of the typical single 7amp/hr battery.
> > >=20
> > > The charge circuit on a security system would be limited to a maximum=
 charge current, but all I can see for issues are:
> > >=20
> > > 1) Longer to charge after a discharge
> > > 2) batteries should be same age, amp/hr to reduce changes of overchar=
ging
> > > 3) ??
> > >=20
> > > Some comments I've seen from people is they thought more batteries co=
uld overload the charging cct.. but, battery charges would have a maximum o=
utput amperage... (take alot longer to recharge) so I don't understand how =
that would occur..=20
> > >=20
> > > This must be a common thing to do in places where storms are common a=
nd they need the alarm system to have backup power (non-generator) for a da=
y or two?
> > >=20
> > > Thanks!
> > > Michelle
> >=20
> > the problem is with the charger which may not have enough power to keep=
 batterys charged properly typical max most panels is 18 amp
>=20
> Thanks for the responses.
>=20
> I can monitor the charge voltage/current.. I would imagine the charge vol=
tage itself would be a few volts above... so 14 volts or so.   Can a person=
 add another separate charger to the batteries in parallel with the existin=
g battery leads from the alarm board?   or how can one isolate them?

Buy as big a UPS back up power supply as you need and plug the alarm system=
 into it.