Re: New to Security - Have a few questions

indaleco@xxxxxxxxx Wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I came here from a google search while trying to find some information and I am hoping that a few people here can assist me.
>
>I own an I.T. Consulting business, where I do networking and other I.T. related services for small businesses.  I've ventured into surveillance systems, namely cameras, and have been looking into going further with the actual security systems.
>
>Now, I do work for a big company that is primarily DMP but I know that they are not satisfied with the dealer(s) in the area, or the call center.  I didn't know if you guys could recommend a good system to use or to learn, or if I should make the effort to become a DMP dealer.
>
>Also, I've tried doing research into setting up a call center for the security systems, but haven't really had any luck on finding any information.  Any help to at least get me in the right direction would be much appreciated.
>
>Thank you very much for your time,

Travis,

You are thinking way ahead of what needs to be done now.  DMP will not
accept a new security company to be a dealer.  By "call center" I assume
you mean Central Station.  Just use one already built, there are a ton
of regulations to open a new CS, and its very expensive.

Depending on your state, you may be in violation of the law by
installing security cameras.  In Texas that is a licensed activity, and
I have personally gone behind IT techs (I'm one too) to correct their
work.  This is something you can't just jump into without some
experience.

If I were you I would take a job at an alarm company for a year or two
before even considering opening your own company.  Do installs AND
selling.  Its not easy to run an alarmco, and your liability will
increase exponentially compared to the IT business.

In short, unless you have a lot of money for the startup to surround
yourself with experienced people you won't make it on your own. The work
itself is not beyond your technical abilities, but installations are
only a small part of the overall business.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin