Re: Burglar Alarm Face book group

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 11:19:25 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> > Hi Les,
> >
> > I do this kind of audio work on a regular basis. I don't know what your=
 specifics are but here's a little bit of information that may be useful. A=
lthough Pandora is free or a paid service, the free service does have it's =
quirks. You can only pick your category of songs but not specific songs. Yo=
u can choose a performer or a style of music but Pandora plays pretty much =
what it wants to at random ..... keeping within a genre. The most annoying =
thing about it is that the volume is not constant. Some music is loud some =
is too soft. When I set up music systems for people I try to use Sonos. Thi=
s way people can play their own music from their Ipads/IPhones or computers=
 as well as choosing from about 150 internet radio stations. Sonos is fabul=
ous to work with and delivers lots of smiles to the end users. They love it=
.

> > One of the aspects of jobs like this is that their WiFi network needs t=
o be pretty robust if they want to be able to control their music from all =
over the home. They usually don't want to go for the extra bucks up front b=
ut once they get a taste of being able to control their music from their I/=
Phone/Pad they want to do if from anywhere in the house and then I get call=
ed back to enhance the WiFi network.  I usually wind up installing wireless=
 access points or additional routers with DHCP disabled. Also, the Power li=
ne carrier IP network extenders work pretty good in getting the network to =
other parts of the house without having to run wires. It takes some practic=
e to learn how to install them quickly but once you've mastered it .... it =
works great. There are new ones out now that not only carry the hardwire ne=
twork but also create a WiFi area from the plug in unit.

> > Anyway, If you need any help, let me know.
> >
>=20
> Jim,
> Thanks for the input.  I just looked at the Sonos site and a quick look=
=20
> at the components.  This equipment looks like it is geared more for the=
=20
> high end residential user.  The project I am involved with is a=20
> commercial restaurant dining room for background music as well as paging=
=20
> for order numbers.
>=20
> I have never used Pandora but the customer is using it an likes it.=20
> They also have some knowledge about another service called Spotify.
>=20
> The comments you made about Pandora gives me a little concern but with=20
> equipment I am looking at should handle what ever service they want to=20
> use.
>=20
> I am thinking that all of this new audio stuff will have its quirks of=20
> one type or another.
>=20
> BTW the equipment I am looking at is:
> https://gracedigital.com/shop/tuner-pro/
>=20
> Connected to a Episode commercial amp ECA-70MIXAMP-1-60 with 2x2 drop in=
=20
> ceiling speakers.
>=20
> Just dropped a ball park number today and got a "THAT MUCH??" response.
>=20
> We will see how it goes.
>=20
> Again thanks for the extra input.
>=20
> Les

Hi Les,

Hey! That Gracedigital product is pretty neat. I'd never seen that before. =
I'll keep that in my arsenal for future reference.

As far as the Sonos is concerned, the "Connect Amp" is a 50 watt per channe=
l amplifier that can handle four 8 ohm speakers ( two per channel) It conne=
cts via WiFi to any IPad/Phone with the Sonos app. I've used it in commerci=
al and residential. Since the Connect Amp is a combination of controller an=
d amp all in one, it might be less expensive than the Gracedigital and an a=
mp. the Sonos Connect Amp is $499.00=20

I know the following is more than you need for this job but it may help in =
the future if this comes up again.

Another thing I've done for commercial installs is as follows: See if they =
have an old laptop and load ITunes on it. It doesn't have to be connected t=
o the Internet. Most people have songs recorded on their computers, IPhone/=
Pads. Copy all their songs into ITunes on the lap top and then use the earp=
hone output of the Laptop into a Crown 3000 amp and a Russound impedance ma=
tching volume control to distribute to multiple speakers in four different =
rooms.I've got one restaurant with a lap top, a 4 position impedance matchi=
ng volume control feeding four different rooms. This gives them the ability=
 to adjust the volume in each area according to the ambient noise. (soft fo=
r dinner or Party Time) I took their recorded music and added some of mine =
and loaded it into ITunes so they've got about 6 hours of songs. You start =
up ITunes and put it on repeat and it just plays forever. This one has been=
 playing for about two years now. Since ITunes has a volume leveling featur=
e, it doesn't matter what level the music was recorded at, it all outputs a=
t the same level. It's not Pandora but they can listen to the music they li=
ke not what Pandora gives them. Also, the Free Pandora cuts off every once =
in a while because they don't want people just turning it on and then not l=
istening to it. It uses up their server space. So it has to be restarted ea=
ch time. It also has occasional advertisements.  The paid Pandora doesn't d=
o that.=20

Again, let me know if I can help.