Re: Fire Wire Solid vs. Stranded

On 10/30/2015 12:33 AM, Jim wrote:
> On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 6:11:38 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I just found out that apparently Stranded wire FPLR etc. is available
>> and is acceptable in wiring of fire alarm systems.
>>
>> Well that just makes my brain hurt.
>>
>> It may have been OK per code for sometime or forever but I just became
>> aware.
>> I always use solid and I think even after this new info will continue so
>> it should not make a difference.  I just did not think it was allowed as
>> per code.
>>
>> Anyone else have input on this??
>>
>> Educated me!!!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Les
>
> I never heard about stranded FPLR wire. But you're feeling the same way I felt the first time I saw the "new" smoke detectors that allow two wires under the same screw terminal.
>
> Do you know that there is 22 gage FPLR wire? And do you know where it can be used? ...... on a fire loop or on a keypad run or where it is
> and is not allowed? Also, is it specified anywhere exactly what kind of wire nuts or connectors are allowed to be used in a fire system. I
>haven't done commercial fire in years and years but back then the
answers to the above questions were not apparent.

Gee Whiz Jim,
I just learned one new thing and now you want to force me into cramming
more into a already full box.  Are you nuts!!!   :-)

I don't know the specific answers to your question.  Please elaborate
with answers.  While doing so, answer the following.

What type of wire ties are to be used in the installation of fire wire in
a plenum area??  Just found out that one during my investigation on the
stranded wire thing.

Smallest gauge wire here is 18awg, no 22awg listed, but there is
stranded stuff.
http://www.westpenn-wpw.com/pdfs/fire-alarm-cables.pdf

Have a good weekend.

Les