Re: Envisalink monitoring satisfaction?

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:53:33 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> [...]
med
> > >for the device(s).  If a smoke detector trips; it may send a trouble,
> > >supervisory, or burglary signal.  That's a mistake that could be deadl=
> > >and not caught until its way too late.
> >=20
> > >I think there should be a national standard that all local responders
> > >adopt which states that no emergency response will be summoned unless =
the
> > >system has been certified by a competent & licensed company.  That
> > >certifying company *should* be in a contract with the monitoring compa=
ny
> > >to complete the liability chain.  The monitoring company should (shall=
)
> > >require the DIY'er to undergo re-certification every time programming
> > >mode is entered.  I suppose a remote panel connection would be good
> > >enough for that, after the initial physical inspection.  Also, require
> > >periodic (annual?) physical inspections for DIY installed & monitored
> > >systems.
> >=20
> > >I guess you've seen the TV commercials for SimpliSafe
> > >http://simplisafe.com/ .   It shows the DIY'er 'mounting' a PIR by
> > >placing it on his fireplace mantle!  WTF?  I almost spit out a mouthfu=
> > >of coffee when I saw that.
> >=20
> > "G. Morgan"
> > As much as I agree with your assessment of the current situation,
> > I DO NOT think Fed or Even State involvement will cure the problem.
> > Not sure how it is in your state/local area, but here in Kentucky  all =
the=20
> > government uses regulations for is revenue collection..
> > Safety is very low down on their list of concerns.
> > ie...  they passed a law that restricts Emergency Aid Buttons that are=
=20
> > remotely monitored to just one company..
> > (unless you're a Hospital and self monitoring your own equipment)
> > (I'll let you guess who makes most of the money on that little caper ..=
.)
> > ie...   fire alarm monitoring is only allowed under the NFPA 2002 editi=
on..
> > No allowance is given for VoIP  or Cellular,  POTS only....
> > (AT&T  has already told the state PSC regulators they plan to drop POTS=
 in=20
> > 2014/15)
> >=20
> > I guess we're all  just waiting for the "@#$% in a Hand Basket"  to com=
e=20
> > swinging by..   ;-)
> >=20
> > RTS
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > ---
> > http://
>=20
> I think you're right. Security is not the concern of politicians or any o=
f the recent players jumping on the latest security system bandwagon. It's =
all about the RMR. And without the politicians placing restrictions on the =
garbage that's being offered now and only looking for more revenue producin=
g laws, the garbage will just pile higher and higher.=20
>=20
> Most end users and/or DIY'ers will forego the possibility that they've do=
ne something wrong .... willing to take the chance as long as they don't ha=
ve to pay anything (or very low rates) for anything. After all, they don't =
know what they don't know. What if they don't get the call from their self =
monitored alarm system? They'd rather take that chance then pay for monthly=
 monitoring. Why "isn't" it alright to put a motion detector on a mantle? I=
t's a lot easier than having to mount that ugly thing on a wall.  Here's on=
e for you ...... "A cat is not going to set off a motion detector because i=
t isn't a person." That's what's out there. There's no effort by the alarm =
industry to educate the public about what the failings in these systems are=
 because the manufacturers are profiting regardless. It would be nice if th=
e industry had a national association who would run educational adds to edu=
cate the public .... right? But .... wait a minute .... we DO have a nation=
al association ...... but alas, it's made up of alarm manufacturers and Nat=
ional Alarm companies that all profit from the lack of education to the end=
 users. OH WELL ...... guess there's no help there. =20
>=20
> When you're dealing with that kind of ignorance ..... and the seller isn'=
t concerned about it ..... you know where all this eventually leads. To the=
 total commoditization of security systems that offer worthless security wh=
ich will reach the point that authorities will no longer respond to any kin=
d of residential alarms.=20
>=20
> I say again, if you're just starting out or midway in this trade, you'd b=
etter diversify something fierce in the coming years. Security as you have =
known it is going to disappear.=20
>=20
> All I can say I'm glad I was in it during it's heyday.

Let me take a lesson from your book and give another hard opinion on this w=
hole idea of self monitoring. Anyone who thinks that self monitoring using =
his cellphone as the main contact is a MORON and truly doesn`t understand s=
ecurity other than what he thinks he knows. Unfortunatly with the current m=
ove to selling simplistic DIY alarm and self monitoring systems, this is on=
ly going to increase.=20

But that`s the beauty of a free market; one can make all the mistakes you w=
ant without anyone calling you to task for it. Luckily for them, real alarm=
s are not common relative to the 99 percent of alarms that are false. This =
might be the only thing that saves these folks (in an ironic twist of fate.=
...)