Re: troubleshooting old alarm, worked perfectly till this am....

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:40:44 PM UTC-7, Wednesday Rowan wrote:
> my old hardwired alarm system was set off last night (someone trying to o=
pen the front door). Weird because there is no access to the wiring from th=
e outside..... maybe coincidence....=20
> now it won't set... no "green light" on keypad with all windows and doors=
 in place.
> I've checked the magnets in the window frames, the doors sensors are inst=
alled in door and frame.=20
>=20
> control box shows a red light in "zone 1" (I can't say what it used to sh=
ow, never paid attention until it stopped working)
> I thought the problem might actually be the keypad, it didn't show the al=
arm on, I left the house thinking it wasn't set..... then when I came back =
from the dentist it was set... prealarm went off and the alarm turned off w=
hen I keyed code in (I didn't have time to go see if the "zone 1" red light=
 was still on),=20
> then... no green on the keypad and shows a red light in "zone 1" on the c=
ontrol box.=20
>=20
>=20
> Q... can I find out which wire is to which door or window by detaching th=
e connections one at a time and see if, when I detach the one that is the p=
roblem.. which one it is?
> seems like that is the first step...
>=20
> I'd call someone but, I don't have money now, and, not in the best neighb=
orhood... don't want to be without the alarm.
>=20
> I'm not any kind of handyman or electrician, but I have installed dimmer =
switched and a CFI... and I put a new battery in the alarm some years ago.
>=20
> would appreciate any help....
>=20
>=20
> I have pictures of the alarm interior...=20
> box says "Protection Products Inc" model 30-433
>=20
> the key pad is a dti dcu-20 (found pdf manual for that, nice, I'd forgott=
en how to add/remove an auxiliary code)

I don't see where to post pics of the panel... though maybe not still neede=
d...=20