troubleshooting old alarm, worked perfectly till this am....

my old hardwired alarm system was set off last night (someone trying to ope=
n the front door). Weird because there is no access to the wiring from the =
outside..... maybe coincidence....=20
now it won't set... no "green light" on keypad with all windows and doors i=
n place.
I've checked the magnets in the window frames, the doors sensors are instal=
led in door and frame.=20

control box shows a red light in "zone 1" (I can't say what it used to show=
, never paid attention until it stopped working)
I thought the problem might actually be the keypad, it didn't show the alar=
m on, I left the house thinking it wasn't set..... then when I came back fr=
om the dentist it was set... prealarm went off and the alarm turned off whe=
n I keyed code in (I didn't have time to go see if the "zone 1" red light w=
as still on),=20
then... no green on the keypad and shows a red light in "zone 1" on the con=
trol box.=20

Q... can I find out which wire is to which door or window by detaching the =
connections one at a time and see if, when I detach the one that is the pro=
blem.. which one it is?
seems like that is the first step...

I'd call someone but, I don't have money now, and, not in the best neighbor=
hood... don't want to be without the alarm.

I'm not any kind of handyman or electrician, but I have installed dimmer sw=
itched and a CFI... and I put a new battery in the alarm some years ago.

would appreciate any help....

I have pictures of the alarm interior...=20
box says "Protection Products Inc" model 30-433

the key pad is a dti dcu-20 (found pdf manual for that, nice, I'd forgotten=
 how to add/remove an auxiliary code)=20