Re: Long Runs - CCTV

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 1:07:59 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Back in the day we all had to deal with the 750' limit.  We all knew we=
=20
> could push it further, but if we wanted to "know" it was good we made sur=
e=20
> it was close to max for runs.  I special ordered 95% Cu RG-6 and was able=
 to=20
> run 1000' and for black and white cameras there are some I nstalled at=20
> nearly 1500' on that coax.
>=20
> Then along came twisted pair and amplified twisted pair baluns that cdoul=
d=20
> push composite video a couple miles.  With RF links (some) you could push=
=20
> composite video several miles.
>=20
> Now we have to take a step back.  318' limit (100 meters) with IP cameras=
.=20
> We can stretch that a little, but that's the magic number for ethernet.  =
Its=20
> not the signals won't travel further.  Its that the timing is all off if =
you=20
> stretch it to far.  Multi Megapixel IP cameras are the bees knees.  The c=
ats=20
> meow.  Bob's pre marriage dating history.  Whatever.  LOL.  How are you=
=20
> dealing with those long runs?  Its not always practical throw POE switche=
s=20
> up all over the place as repeaters either.  I work on facilities routinel=
y=20
> with runs of 500-700 feet, and one old install I did ages ago with oversi=
ze=20
> coax had a couple runs approaching 1500'.
>=20
> What is the answer.  I push POE IP cameras often now because of the price=
 to=20
> features ratio and the ease of installation (nearly PnP), but how are you=
=20
> dealing with distance issues?

I don't do much commercial anymore. At least nothing over 300 feet long. Al=
though I do large residential the "hub is usually pretty close to the cente=
r of the house so more often nothing over 200 feet. In years past, RG6 was =
the cure for anything over the 700 foot limit.=20

What I am using is the HDMI extenders over Cat5/6 for TV's. I nver use an H=
DMI cable over 50feet long In one case I couldn't even use that because the=
 house was plaster over metal lath The TV installed over the fireplace usin=
g the clock wall outlet that had been installed in the 1920's when the hous=
e was built. I used a wireless HDMI extender for the TV. Kind of expensive =
but didn't have to break plaster walls to run a wire.=20

I do see IP network extenders advertised along with RF transmission equip b=
ut without need, never looked into them.