Re: Napco Gem-P3200 Daylight Saving Time

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 6:17:50 PM UTC-5, David B wrote:
> On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 11:31:49 PM UTC-6, Jim wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:49:52 PM UTC-5, David B wrote:
> > > My Napco board is 10 years old and uses the old dates for changing to=
 Daylight Saving and Standard times.
> > >=20
> > > I have a VER 11E micro that will correct that problem but I don't kno=
w how to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco t=
ech support doesn't support users, only professionals.
> > >=20
> > > Do I replace the micro with both AC and battery disconnected? And if =
I do this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non-=
working system?
> >=20
> >=20
> > Do you have access to the dealer programming via the Napco Quickloader =
and do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the mic=
roprocessor.
> >=20
> > If you do, then power down the panel.
> > Before you take the chip out of the protective bag, make sure you have =
grounded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chip =
don't be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up bet=
ween you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.
> >=20
> > I'm presuming that you don't have a chip extractor or inserter.
> >=20
> > Before beginning to remove the old chip, make sure you note which end o=
f the chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in backwa=
rds.=20
> >=20
> > The old chip needs to be pried out VERY CAREFULLY without bending any o=
f the pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side an=
d gradually remove the chip from the socket.
> >=20
> > Once removed, put it in the protective bag that the new chip came in. K=
eep it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is in=
stalled.
> >=20
> > Take a look at the angle of the pins on the new chip. You'll notice tha=
t the pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.=20
> >=20
> > Lay the pin side of the new chip down with the pins down, up against a =
hard surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously j=
ust slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip. =
If you bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back ag=
ain. So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip ..=
.. and then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in=
 the chip socket. =20
> >=20
> > Line the new chip up with the socket, make sure all the pins are lined =
up with the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the ch=
ip pins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you cou=
ld possibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pressu=
re all the while noting that none of the pins are bending.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Once you install the new chip. power up the panel and now you can go in=
to programming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has chang=
ed.=20
> >=20
> > If it doesn't work, you can always reinstall the old chip. BUT .... in =
any case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't change =
the chip.