Re: Napco Gem-P3200 Daylight Saving Time

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 11:31:49 PM UTC-6, Jim wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:49:52 PM UTC-5, David B wrote:
> > My Napco board is 10 years old and uses the old dates for changing to D=
aylight Saving and Standard times.
> >=20
> > I have a VER 11E micro that will correct that problem but I don't know =
how to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco tec=
h support doesn't support users, only professionals.
> >=20
> > Do I replace the micro with both AC and battery disconnected? And if I =
do this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non-wo=
rking system?
>=20
>=20
> Do you have access to the dealer programming via the Napco Quickloader an=
d do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the micro=
processor.
>=20
> If you do, then power down the panel.
> Before you take the chip out of the protective bag, make sure you have gr=
ounded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chip do=
n't be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up betwe=
en you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.
>=20
> I'm presuming that you don't have a chip extractor or inserter.
>=20
> Before beginning to remove the old chip, make sure you note which end of =
the chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in backward=
s.=20
>=20
> The old chip needs to be pried out VERY CAREFULLY without bending any of =
the pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side and =
gradually remove the chip from the socket.
>=20
> Once removed, put it in the protective bag that the new chip came in. Kee=
p it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is inst=
alled.
>=20
> Take a look at the angle of the pins on the new chip. You'll notice that =
the pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.=20
>=20
> Lay the pin side of the new chip down with the pins down, up against a ha=
rd surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously jus=
t slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip. If=
 you bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back agai=
n. So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip ....=
 and then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in t=
he chip socket. =20
>=20
> Line the new chip up with the socket, make sure all the pins are lined up=
 with the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the chip=
 pins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you could=
 possibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pressure=
 all the while noting that none of the pins are bending.
>=20
>=20
> Once you install the new chip. power up the panel and now you can go into=
 programming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has changed=
.=20
>=20
> If it doesn't work, you can always reinstall the old chip. BUT .... in an=
y case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't change th=
e chip.

Thanks, Jim for your very complete reply.

No, I don't have a Quickloader and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. Fr=
om your answer I surmise that yes, I will lose all my programmed data if I =
remove the old chip. I was hoping that the settings may have been retained =
in a capacitor or elsewhere for a short time while I did the switch out. If=
 they are, I would like to give it a try. If not, I will have to look for p=
rofessional service from someone in or near Corpus Christi, Texas.

Thanks again for your helpful advise.