Re: HIKVISION - Plug N Play - 4 Out of 9 Fail

From: "Bob La Londe" <none@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 10:25 AM
Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms
Subject: HIKVISION - Plug N Play - 4 Out of 9 Fail

> I spent some time late yesterday playing with a HIK Vision NVR and some
> HIK Vision cameras.  At first it went very nicely.  The first cameras
> picked up fairly quickly, and the resolution of a the 3MP camera was very
> nice.  Then I ran some wire and threw four more cameras on the system.  Of
> those only one picked up plug-n-play as it was supposed to.  In fact out
> nine still sealed NIB cameras four of them failed to be picked up
> properly.  The system would see them, but not as PNP.  They all came up as
> .1.64.
>
> I set up a separate isolated network to make sure everything was clean.
> Defaulted the cameras, and reprogrammed them several different ways.  With
> different IPs and gateway that made sense.  I tried them as DHCP as well.
> They would get an IP from the NVR, but not one that made any sense.  It
> still did not PNP.  Then I would unplug them from independent power and
> switch them over to the NVR.  The NVR would show them, but would not
> display them or allow me to add them manually.
>
> It was getting late when I decided to shelve the project.  The only other
> thing I could think of was maybe to upgrade the firmware on the cameras.
>
> I would note that on my test network I was able to communicate with the
> cameras from my laptop, and I was able to view video from the cameras
> after installing the ActiveX plug-in on my browser.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Perhaps this is why ADI has them on special right now.

************************************

Well, it took almost all day, but I finally got a response from tech support
at HikVision.

** Bob,
** In order to better assist you, please provide the following information.

Most of which I already provided.  Sigh.  I guess Digital Watchdog is
looking not so bad now.  LOL.  Maybe Mark was right.  Maybe its me.

This isn't really a tech issue.  It's a product issue.  I know how to setup
networks.  I've been doing it since it was only affordable for most
people to run a serial  network, and a parallel connection to transfer
data was scary fast magic.  Hell I bread boarded my first serial port.