Re: CCTV Power supplies

On Monday, May 13, 2013 2:41:27 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I use mostly DC cameras and have not had any issues out to several hundre=
d feet. I tried the 24VAC:12VDC converters and they all failed in less than=
 a year. I used to use all 24VAC and I still use them for longer runs, but.=
.. The only real advantage to the IP cameras is with the really high resolu=
tion ones. 3MP+ You can actually do near TV-show type tricks with them. Zoo=
m in on a view of multiple gas pump islands and actually read a license pla=
te. That sort of thing. With regular CCTV you needed overview cameras and l=
icense plate cameras to do the same job. And customers never want to pay fo=
r what they want. "Jim" <alarminex> wrote in message ... > Anyone have a so=
urce for CCTV power supplies? > > I have a tendancy to use 24VAC rather the=
n 12 DC unless the distance is > less than 150 feet. I usually need at leas=
t one amp per "channel" for > either 8 or 16 cameras. I know in the past I =
was able to get them for > under a $100 dollars but lately everything I see=
 is over that. > > Also, has anyone tried the cameras I'm seeing that have =
the visible LED's > that come on when motion is detected? Is it just a gimm=
ick ... or what? > How much light could it throw? And wouldn't it switch ba=
ck to color? > > I still can't see the advantage that IP/HD cameras have th=
at warrant the > big difference in price over analog. Especially if you thr=
ow in the price > of NVR and the fact that I haven't seen an 8 channel NVR/=
HD-DVR that's > resonably priced and NO 16 channel. I mean .... I see the n=
ice clear > picture .... it's just that the end user wont go the extra amou=
nt to get > that clarity. It just hasn't reached that price point that the =
customer > will go the extra bucks .... at least for me .... anyway. >

You mean you can't give them a camera that will see a license plate of a ca=
r in a parking lot full of over 100 cars, in the reflection of someones mir=
rored sunglasses, 150 feet away, at night ....  for under $200.00???    Jee=
eeze.