Re: Outdoor camera connections.

news:4b7320b7-f3ed-4980-b37e-c452a1e81591@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your suggestion "sounds" good but I have a problem with the fact that there
will be connectors ..... in the hole in the cement. Your suggestion would be
great if the leads from the camera were two feet long so that the connectons
would be on the inside of the building. Also, I have no idea at this time as
to how thick the wall really is. The building is concrete block on the
inside and textured brick on the outside. I'm guessing the the wall is
probably 8 to 10 inches thick .... but it could be more. I'll have to
determine how thick it is before I make a decision how I'm going to do this.
If the outside textured brick is not too thick, I'm picturing making a
"larger" hole in the "hollow" part of the cement brick on the inside of the
building then drilling the wire hole the rest of the way through to the
outside. The connectors would be accessable, and able to be protected and
the hole could be covered with a backless 6 x 6 electrical box and cover. Up
high on the inside of the building it would hardly be noticed. The ceilings
are 20 feet.

 The other problem I see is that the mounting flange of the camera is only
about three and a half inches in diameter, so mounting it the way you
suggested, directly to the brick would require being extremely lucky in
finding four flat corners of the bricks that are all flat enough to mount
the camera. Then drilling at the very edges of the brick is very likely to
crack the corners of at least one and maybe all the bricks. If that happens
then I'm screwed. I still think I need some kind of a mounting
surface/material for the cameras.

What do you think!

Two more thoughts for you.  You could use some brass pipe over long lag
bolts to mount the box on the outside.  Consider them as stand-offs of
sorts.  Doing this would allow the box to sit square to the wall and make it
secure.  Just cut the brass pipe to length as needed.  Use a piece of
Conduit to pass through the back into the wall to protect the cables.

The other thought would be if you wanted to use a compound that can be found
it the paint dept at Lowes.  It comes out of the tub in a very think past.
Apply in layers behind the box to fill in the opening giving a better look.
It has sand in it that gives the look of mortar or stone grout.  Can't think
of the actual name but if you ask or look on the caulk or concrete fill or
patch it should show up.  It is a light gray in color.

I am sure with all this thinking you will find something that will work.
Posting pictures somewhere would be nice.

Les