Re: Subcontract Frustration

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:12:47 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:
> It's bad enough when we get a job that obviously hasn't been engineered a=
nd the only NAC print is a layout with hand drawn device locations - no cir=
cuits identified or candela settings - and now the sales guy for the "Natio=
nal-Alarm-Company-That-Won't-Be-Named" is up in arms 'cause I say we can't =
run the 65 new horn strobes in a large plant (30 of which are high candela)=
 off of ONE FCPS24-FS8 power supply. I swear to God I should just do it the=
 way he wants and walk away... But then I'm the one standing there with my =
thumb up my ass in front of the electrical inspector and the Fire Marshall.=
.. So instead I just spent an hour and a half composing a 1000 word essay i=
n the form of an email to my boss and the half the install management team =
for the "National" on current draws of each setting and how it doesn't frig=
gin matter if EACH circuit is capable of 3 amps, you are still ONLY going t=
o get 8 amps out of all four. (still ain't enough anyway) And I'm STILL gon=
na get flooded with calls tomorrow asking every question I answered in the =
email, so I may as well just sit there and not even try to get anything don=
e until they all get tired. BTW - my boss is on my side, shares my frustrat=
ion but says we're contractually obligated to stand the inspection. PFFT!!!=
 Contract, schmontract... Sales weenie called it... sales weenie stands the=
 inspection... Past experience says I will end up with what I want but it A=
LWAYS has to be a major PITA to get from here to there. I suspect all the c=
ontortions are because the sales guy has to eat the added equipment.

You could always put your thumb under their nose after the inspection. :-)

I don't do commercial fire anymore ..... just for reasons like you're exper=
iencing. I just can't (refuse) to deal with all the bureaucratic nonsense. =
What I used to call ..... intentional stupidity but after many years, final=
ly realizing that most times it actually IS stupidity. Nice money but I'd r=
ather do a bunch of small commercial and resi burg jobs and go home with a =
smile. I get to ply my skills and not get sucked up in all the unnecessary =
paper work solely designed to cover everyone's ass.