Re: Ford Transit Connect? Anyone using them?

"Chris" <chriswheeldon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Good people of ASA,
>
> For my next work vehicle... alarm and camera installations, service, site
> inspections, etc... I was thinking of a 4WD/4x4 with good ground clearance
> to get through Canadian winters, back roads, steep and icy driveways,
> residential construction sites, etc.  Of course, it would also need to be
> large enough to hold a 6' step ladder in the back for everyday use with a
> rack on top for larger ladders for occasional use.
>
> Now, however, I hear that my next vehicle may be a Ford Transit Connect.
>
> Is anyone here actually using these for work?  If so, I'd love to hear
> what you think of them and what you've done to make them work better.
>
> - Chris

I have nothing against Ford.  I have owned a bunch of them over the years,
but the Chevy 4wd trucks have auto locking differentials (stock, not as an
option).  I am pretty sure all the Chevy work trucks have auto locking
differentials.  In tough conditions this can really make a difference with a
heavy truck.  I am pretty sure they made that standard on all the WT models
from 2002 on.  Even my 2002 S-10 work truck had it.

I've seen plenty of Broncos and Toyota and Nissans sitting firmly on two
wheels with the other two spinning and the truck going nowhere.

Currently my daily service vehicle is a 2012 2wd 2500HD with a utility bed,
and my rough country truck is a 2007 2500HD 4wd crew cab short be with 11.5
inch wide tires.  I run sand with the 4x4 at highway pressure, and I can run
sugar sand all day long by dropping the tires to about 18-20PSI.  On
construction sites the 2wd will chatter a bit as the differential locks and
unlocks in the soft stuff, but I haven't had it stuck on a jobsite yet.  The
4x4 will shift on the fly to 4wd high range at 65 MPH or under.  You do have
to shift to neutral to go into low range, but low range is really only
needed like the old granny gear for low end torque pulling out stumps.