Re: Ford Transit Connect? Anyone using them?

On Friday, March 1, 2013 3:40:24 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
>=20
> I have nothing against Ford.  I have owned a bunch of them over the years=
,=20
>=20
> but the Chevy 4wd trucks have auto locking differentials (stock, not as a=
n=20
>=20
> option).  I am pretty sure all the Chevy work trucks have auto locking=20
>=20
> differentials.  In tough conditions this can really make a difference wit=
h a=20
>=20
> heavy truck.  I am pretty sure they made that standard on all the WT mode=
ls=20
>=20
> from 2002 on.  Even my 2002 S-10 work truck had it.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I've seen plenty of Broncos and Toyota and Nissans sitting firmly on two=
=20
>=20
> wheels with the other two spinning and the truck going nowhere.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Currently my daily service vehicle is a 2012 2wd 2500HD with a utility be=
d,=20
>=20
> and my rough country truck is a 2007 2500HD 4wd crew cab short be with 11=
.5=20
>=20
> inch wide tires.  I run sand with the 4x4 at highway pressure, and I can =
run=20
>=20
> sugar sand all day long by dropping the tires to about 18-20PSI.  On=20
>=20
> construction sites the 2wd will chatter a bit as the differential locks a=
nd=20
>=20
> unlocks in the soft stuff, but I haven't had it stuck on a jobsite yet.  =
The=20
>=20
> 4x4 will shift on the fly to 4wd high range at 65 MPH or under.  You do h=
ave=20
>=20
> to shift to neutral to go into low range, but low range is really only=20
>=20
> needed like the old granny gear for low end torque pulling out stumps.

Bob,

In general, I've liked every Ford I've had.  Every our last work van was a =
front-wheel-drive Ford Freestar, and it was a whole lot better than our cur=
rent Dodge Caravan.  Nothing against Chevy's/GMC's either... although I don=
't know why they can't just pick one brand and stick with it.  The extra in=
ventory for every little thing with a logo on it must be huge, as they need=
 a Chevy version and a GMC version.

I completely agree with the locking differentials.  Most of the time if I'm=
 only minorly stuck on ice, it's because the one tire that's spinning is on=
 ice, while the other three are on snow/pavement.  Apparently riding your b=
rakes is supposed to put enough friction into the mix that the other wheel =
will spin too, but I've never had any luck with that.

I get the technical necessity for a differential for everyday driving aroun=
d corners on pavement, but the ability to lock it up when needed would be g=
ood too.  2wd is bad enough, 1wd just makes a bad situation worse.

- Chris