Re: CCTV with Cat5 and what I've learned.

Since I wrote the original post and got some feedback, I've done some more
thinking and research and I'm zeroing in on a better way to do things.

Single baluns (that don't carry power too, are really inexpensive) For power
on bigger jobs ...centrally locate power or ..... instead of using one big
power source .... perhaps use two or divide power supplies in accoudence to
where the cameras are located. If possible, use indivdual plug-in packs in
nearby outlets too. I see that there are very inxepensive BNC connector
jumper cables available ( I wouldn't like to wire Cat5 right up to the
Baluns that are plugged directiy into the DVR) Stripping back longer lengths
of the Cat5 for the runs to the power supply hadn't occured to me. That'll
save some time.

I hadn't seen cameras with built in baluns but I'm pretty particular about
the cameras I use and almost always use a varafocal lens. I'm  using 700
line res cameras now with 100 foot IR. I know it's overkill but ..... If I
could only convince more people to use higher res monitors instaead of an
old TV or computer monitor just to save a few bucks. I got all the way to
the end of this job ... didn't quote a monitor because he said he had one
and he shows up with a 1990's era TV set. Jeeeeeeze.

With all the cameras showing on the screen it looks like a square bowl of
tomato-maccaroni soup with black things floating in it. I'm going to bring a
monitor with me next week when I turn it over to him .... to let him see the
difference. What a F.... g idiot.