Re: DSC 1404 zone doubling

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:41:57 AM UTC-7, Jim wrote:
>=20
> I'm guessing most Mfg's have panels like this. It appeals to the "lickum =
stickum) companies. When you're installing 20 free panels a day, 20 bucks p=
er panel means more. It's not about the security, benefits or features.

Then you're going to be needing wireless.  Like I always say about doorknoc=
kers: they're not selling alarm systems, they're selling contracts.

I did a service call yesterday to re-install a bedroom window contact.  Of =
course, it had been installed by doorknockers less than a year ago.

They mounted the magnet to the frame with some sort of orange glue (usually=
 they use clear silicone).  Screws, of course, are too difficult.  But then=
 they mounted the contact to the glass itself with the same glue (there was=
 a screen on the window and not enough room to do it any other way).  Being=
 a south-facing window, it got hot and melted off.  So I installed a hardwi=
red surface contact (with just enough room behind the screen), and wired it=
 to the existing wireless contact (which is now on the wall above the windo=
w).  Mounted everything with screws, as crazy as that concept may be.  The =
most difficult part of the whole service call was getting the backplate off=
 of the rest of the contact as some glue had dripped into it.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised they don't use something like DSC's Alex=
or more often.  Probably too expensive and technical, but it would be easie=
r to wire than a Lynx Touch, SimonXT or 2gig.

- Chris