Re: WHAT recession ?

On Jan 16, 8:42=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 4:39=A0am, Robert Macy <robert.a.m...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Is it possible to work out a function, or service, that uses IP, but
> > has REAL value? That way, you would be able to supply something you
> > have interest in developing and would also feel good about supplying
> > since it would have value.-
>
> Actually that's the root of the =A0problem. I've been doing small to
> middling automated lighting for lots of years now. More recently in
> connection to home theater installs. No one has been able to come up
> with an integrated system =A0that was generally accepted . Back in the
> X10 days was the closest (in my opinion) that home automation was in
> one basket. But only because it was the only basket. And it was never
> that good to be totally dependable.
>
> There have been and are a wide choice of products out there but
> nothing, so far has been able to catch the imagination of the
> installers or the public. With the advent of Zigbee and Zwave, there's
> been a little more interest however, WiFi networking has emerged as a
> strong candidate, what with the fact that anyone who would have some
> interest in automation already has WiFi. The newest entrants in the
> home auto arena are coming in with the two "Z's". and they're
> "packaging" it. Package A, Package B, package C. =A0No customization but
> with those items that market research has show to be most desirable.
> This will gain some momentum simply because of the deep pockets they
> have for advertising. Most people who would succumb to this are not
> what I would ever consider as being my market. Also, I think that
> these companies that are marketing these services still haven't
> learned there lesson regarding service. This is by no means a plug -
> and- play product. there are glitches that can occur with this kind of
> technology that could result in some very inconvenient and possibly
> destructive consequence. A thermostat that doesn't turn on in the
> winter time while the client is in Florida for 3 months. Thermostats
> that don't turn down in the winter while away in the Caribbean,
> Humugus oil bill and run out of fuel before degree day fuel delivery
> is scheduled. Of course all of this could happen with any technology
> that's used for such purposes, however, if it were me, I certainly
> wouldn't want a Freebe, National, mass marketing, non caring, monopoly
> minded company with legal resource thousands of times greater them
> mine =A0..... to be installing, monitoring and caring for it. So, I
> think that this latest push will attract those who can't see past the
> glitz. I think that the companies will gradually pull back, once they
> get a taste of the support and follow up that's needed and do the same
> thing they've done in the past when eyeing and trying to enter the
> alarm installation and monitoring market.
>
> Personally I think that WiFi is going to be the ultimate winner
> because there's been more of a need to make it as simple as possible
> [...]

RHC: Another home run ! IMO right on all counts, especially about the
mass marketers moving into the "glitz" market, and taking a sh*t
kicking once they find the service levels required.  The conventional
alarm manufacturers are far too slow to adapt, and are still behind
the eight ball, but give them a year or two of pressure from the
smaller installation companies (who themselves will increasingly get
pressure from their customers), and we will start to see them move
into the 21st century....ie: panels with IP connectivity built in to
the board for one....

I had a long conversation on the weekend with a party who is quite
high up on the technical side of Rogers Cable up here. He gives them
about 5 years max before they learn their lesson again and back out of
the security market. Unfortunately, once they do, there will be
thousands of customers left without service since I have my doubts
about anyone ever wanting to pick up this hardware (they'll have to
sell it all off to an ADT type buyer....)

I'm installing a system on Wednesday with the IP100 interface from the
alarm bus to the clients router, so he can control things from his
smart phone. Done it a couple of times now, and feedback has been
super positive. No question, that's the way it's going, but hopefully
with conventional QUALITY alarm equipment not the current wave of stuff