Re: WHAT recession ?

On Jan 13, 1:08=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RHC: God, I couldn't have said it better !! My son is good, and does
> care, but without that breadth of experience to draw on, he does have
> a lot to learn.
> The last ten years shows me he has what it takes but needs some polish
> in some of the old school values, but nothing that he can't learn
> under my tutalege and direction.-

I don't know if you do it or not already but .... try asking him what
HE would do in certain circumstances as they arise. Ask him why he
would do it that way. What is his thought process and considerations
in making the choices he makes. If you don't agree, try to give each
other reasons for doing it each others particular way.

Even as small a business as it is, it might be an idea to have a
regularly scheduled "meeting" once a week/month to discuss past and
future events and directions. "Formally" talk about jobs done and to
be done. Parts to buy. Quantity purchases and the economics of it.
just for a half hour or so. Take notes.  Anything ..... to get the two
of you communicating in a manner that will give each more of an
insight to each others information processing talents. At this point
I'd say that your job should be becoming more and more about planning
ways to convey your experience to him and less about running the
business. I think you'll find that if you subtlely plan this all out,
you'll find that as you gradually convey your instints and finesse, he
will gradually fill in where it's needed. As long as you are there to
do all the things that you do .... he'll never step in nor even think
about it. Probably thinking that he wouldn't want to hurt  your
feelings by acting like he wanted to take over. In the meantime, he's
not learning "the rest of" whats is necessary to run the business.
But .... you've got to make it gradual, not obvious ..... just
subtlely slide out, over what ever period of time you feel you want to
stay at the wheel. You probably should privately set a time table for
that too. Not said to him though. That would put too much a of
deadline on it. When you feel ready and you know he's ready ......