Re: WHAT recession ?

On Jan 13, 12:16=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 13, 9:58=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > RHC: Yes Jim, I remember my statements well ! When my old partner
> > retired and my son joined the company 10 years ago, I figured as long
> > as I was careful to ONLY take on good accounts, I could go to about
> > 1000 to 1200 accounts without service overwhelming me. I'm now just
> > under 1200 and things are busy, but not excessively so. But I am
> > limiting growth severely, only doing a couple of installs a week, and
> > we've stopped doing takeovers pretty much completely. So as a
> > business, we're coasting, but the money coming in is more than
> > sufficient to allow us to do that at this point.
>
> > I have to say, it's becoming difficult though to sit still and watch
> > the large companies up here offer these new 2 Gig technologies, with
> > whole house monitoring and all sorts of "whoopee" feature sets, and
> > not respond. Especially so since I know how marginal most of this
> > stuff is. Also they are targeting the high end of the market,
> > appealing to consumers that like everything controlled from their cell
> > phones. IMO, excellent "home convenience" but rather sub standard true
> > "home security" compared to conventional panels with add on modules.
> > But with monitoring rates bordering on $55 a month, you gotta wonder
> > who's right and who's wrong...:).
>
> Again .... as I've said. There are people out there who would never be
> my customer in the first place.
>
> I don't see any reason what so ever to compromise my integrity by
> offering them nothing for something simply to get their business. I've
> got to feel as if I've offered and given them something of value. On
> the other hand, feeling that way, I find that I still take it as a
> personal loss when I occasionally lose a customer. It's not simply
> business with me ... I guess.
>
> I was just thinking the other day while I was working ..... that
> now ..... I install for the satisfaction it gives me to do a job that
> meets MY standards. I doesn't seem to make as much difference anymore
> how much short term profit I make on a job as long as it's installed
> and operating the way that I want it to. And the way I want it to is
> always better than the client expected. Maybe that's one of the little
> thought of factors that keeps bringing the business in over the long
> run. Although I guess you could call it reputation.
>

> > I do know if I so choose, I could do the same thing with the purchase
> > of a $165 module for the newest line of Paradox panels, and offer
> > pretty much the same kind of thing at NO increase in monitoring rate.
> > Being well versed in IP technology, once again I'm tempted to move
> > ahead and jump in, but I know if I do, I'll be swamped with business I
> > don't want or need, living off the "avails" of their advertising
> > stimulation. I've thought about expanding from my "core business"
> > interests and offering IP cameras, since this is easy and reliable
> > technology today, and can be so inexpensive to do, that it's a bit
> [...]

RHC: God, I couldn't have said it better !! My son is good, and does
care, but without that breadth of experience to draw on, he does have
a lot to learn.
The last ten years shows me he has what it takes but needs some polish
in some of the old school values, but nothing that he can't learn
under my tutalege and direction.