> > > RHC: Hey, don't get too upset there ...:)). Respect is one thing;
> > > being accessible in a reasonable manner to your customers is what thi=
> > > is about. Some people turn their cells off after hours. Others do lik=
> > > you and leave the messages until it is convenient to answer them.
> > > Others put their customers through a lengthy series of bullshit
> > > sequences insisting " your call is important" etc. But I'm with you
> > > when they answer their cell leaving you in the middle of a
> > > conversation. THAT'S definately lack of respect and damned ignorant.
>
> > > Part of what makes a small dealer better than the Borg is being there
> > > when the client needs them. That means being reachable during busines=
> > > hours. Not when you're climbing in attics obviously, but under most
> > > circumstances. I know I've had many references by clients who've told
> > > others that I'm actually reachable in person, and they don't have to
> > > put up with leaving a message and hoping someone will call back.-
>
> > My "general" rule is to get back to anyone who leaves a message on my
> > answering machine within 8 to 24 hours on routine matters. Depends
> > upon what time they called and what time I picked up the message.
> > Urgent calls get returned as quickly as I pick them up. Since my
> > office is in my home, I hear all the calls coming in from customers
> > and from central station reporting alarm conditions. If there's an
> > emergency or a customer is having trouble, regardless of the time of
> > day or night, I'll pick up or call them back. There are few who
> > actually have my cell phone number and those that do, respect my
> > privacy and do not call ..... but they know that they can should a
> > real emergency occur. If someone abuese the privilege I won't pick up
> > their calls in the future. My cell phone has about 50 to 100 1 or 2
> > minute outgoing calls on it each month. "I'm on my way" I'll be there
> > in xx minutes/hours, got your message I'll get back to you later.
> > Going to be xxx minutes late ..... and so on. My customers expect that
> > of me because that's what I've always done since I got my first cell
> > phone back in the late 80's. My newsletter lets them know what to
> > expect as far as my telephone response time and what defines an urgent
> > call. Their ultimate option is to call the central station who will
> > try to reach me on my cell phone, home or other locations. =A0I always
> > pick up their calls .... day, night or whenever and get back to the
> > client.
> > It's my guess =A0.... =A0that this is more than most .... do.
>
> My cell =A0phone is on 24/7 =A0with all the commercial and industrial
> accounts I have they need immediate answers
> and most only call me on it when its urgent/emergency a machine or
> overhead crane ,phone systems ,power off . etc is down and needs fixed
> etc which can cost big bucks if not working. Most leave normal stuff
> on the home =A0/office line or will text me to get back to them on an
> [...]

I can sympathize with you. Also being a one man company, that's the
one and only reason that I don't do telephone systems. A telephone
system is such a vital resource to a business in todays world, that I
would be remiss if I let them think that I would be able to provide
service fast enough during a business day. My hat's off to you for
doing what you do.

With regard to giving out my cell phone for "urgent" calls only .....
in all the years that I've had one, I've discovered that as much as
someone might "say" that they'll only use it for emergencies, it
eventually becomes the only way they will try to get you. I've found
that over the long run, very few will continuously be able to remember
to sort their priorities between urgent and routine, when they want to
talk to me. Having my number in their Cell phone contacts list just
makes it too easy to do.