Understanding Fios

Hey all you's guys......................  Not to change the
current............ discussion but,

Trying to keep up with latest on this Fios issue.  Here is the back ground
to why I am asking.

Customer built the house back in 2003 and apparently according to him had
Fiber installed to the house for future hook up.  But since it was not
available (as I understand) nothing was hooked up and the phone line came in
standard POTS line "copper".

So now it is 2011 and the customer gets a call from Verizon saying that they
can hook him up with Fios at a much faster speed. (like 35 up and down)  He
says do you have to install wires and such and the rep. says no the cable is
already to your house and we can make the change and you will notice when
you make a call because you will then have to dial the area code even if you
call the neighbor.

So, at about 3am this morning the custom get a message from the C/S saying
that the phone line is down.  The signal went in over the Cell-Backup.  He
calls me to ask what the signal was about, I research and tell him what it
was and he then explains the above about what Verizon was doing.  I asked if
they came in the house and he says no but he now has to dial the area code
for a local call.

So I dial into the panel and connect.  Disconnect and the panel sends signal
to the C/S as it should just like normal.

So here is where I am confused, how was Verizon able to switch to (fiber)
Fios from copper and not have to enter the house to do so.  Would they have
installed the fiber in 2003 and install the equipment and it then magically
connects over to the copper in the house 7 years later??

Does Verizon use nanobots to go thru the fiber make all the necessary
connections and then turn to dust when the job is complete??

Inquiring minds need to know??  I know there are a lot of opinions here, so
please share.

Thanks in advance for all the education that I am about to receive.

Les