Re: Understanding Fios

On Feb 9, 8:24=A0pm, "ABLE1" <royboynos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all you's guys...................... =A0Not to change the
> current............ discussion but,
>
> Trying to keep up with latest on this Fios issue. =A0Here is the back gro=
und
> to why I am asking.
>
> Customer built the house back in 2003 and apparently according to him had
> Fiber installed to the house for future hook up. =A0But since it was not
> available (as I understand) nothing was hooked up and the phone line came=
 in
> standard POTS line "copper".
>
> So now it is 2011 and the customer gets a call from Verizon saying that t=
hey
> can hook him up with Fios at a much faster speed. (like 35 up and down) =
=A0He
> says do you have to install wires and such and the rep. says no the cable=
 is
> already to your house and we can make the change and you will notice when
> you make a call because you will then have to dial the area code even if =
you
> call the neighbor.
>
> So, at about 3am this morning the custom get a message from the C/S sayin=
> that the phone line is down. =A0The signal went in over the Cell-Backup. =
=A0He
> calls me to ask what the signal was about, I research and tell him what i=
> was and he then explains the above about what Verizon was doing. =A0I ask=
ed if
> they came in the house and he says no but he now has to dial the area cod=
> for a local call.
>
> So I dial into the panel and connect. =A0Disconnect and the panel sends s=
ignal
> to the C/S as it should just like normal.
>
> So here is where I am confused, how was Verizon able to switch to (fiber)
> Fios from copper and not have to enter the house to do so. =A0Would they =
have
> installed the fiber in 2003 and install the equipment and it then magical=
ly
> connects over to the copper in the house 7 years later??
>
> Does Verizon use nanobots to go thru the fiber make all the necessary
> connections and then turn to dust when the job is complete??
>
> Inquiring minds need to know?? =A0I know there are a lot of opinions here=
, so
> please share.
>
> Thanks in advance for all the education that I am about to receive.
>
> Les

Hi Les,

The "Fiber" only comes to the demark outside of the house and the
existing wiring in the house is used from the demark. However, what
confuses me about your description is .... There is usually a standby
battery and charger that's mounted inside of the house. Are you in a
warm climate? Up north here, it gets too cold to mount them outside.

As far as the ten digit dialing, when they first started Fios around
here they offered a lower monthly fee if you opted for 10 digit
dialing. Recently, my customers have not been offered the option.
And .......unless they are told by Verizon to notify their alarm
company to change the programing of their alram system, most people
don't think of it and it isn't realized until the first activation of
the alarm system, when it doesn't get through to central station.

 NOW .... with regard to the panel being able to dial out in spite of
the fact that it wasn't programed for 10 digit dialing ..... a couple
of times ..... while I've been reprograming a system for 10 digit
dialing I think the panel was able to dial without a ten digit number.
The first time it happened, I just thought that maybe I "thought" it
got through, so I didn't think any more about it. Then, I think ....
it happened again. I still wasn't prepared and didn't pay attention.
Now I'm going to be looking for it the next time I do a reprograming
and every time there after. I'm suspecting that maybe Verizon actually
has to do 10 digit dialing to some exchanges but not all .... so you
never know if a call is going to go through without 10 digit or not.
Thats just a guess on my part but it could be that newer exchanges do
the 10 digit and the older one's haven't been or can't be updated
until they change over to new equipment. There's still a lot of
exchanges that use mechanical switching.

And the nanobots actually turn to Cream of Wheat, so bring the milk
and sugar.