Re: OT NVR PC Re-Start

"ABLE1" <royboynospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:IDRus.540188$iq1.462665@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hey guys,
>
> I have a PC installed at customers site doing the NVR thing.  Has a UPS
> for surge protection and a little power backup.  The problem comes it that
> the customer does not monitor the system very often and there seems to be
> many power outages.  Of course when the power does go out and the back up
> drains out the PC shuts down.  With out the human intervention of pushing
> the start button the system does not restart.
>
> Now that you got a grip of the problem, has anyone know of quick and/or
> slick way to start a PC without the human finger??
>
> Oh, and I know training the customer to visit the PC more frequently would
> be a start, but that is a much bigger challenge.
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> Les

There may be a setting in the bios to start on power up.  I know atleast one
of my computers has that option.  You also need to configure the UPS for
proper power down settings on power failure.  I have not really looked into
this, but the two may be mutually incompatible.  Alternatively, you could
add a latching relay box to a backed up outlet on the UPS that must be
manually reset to stop the buzzing on power up to remind the customer to
restart the NVR.  Maybe use a recordable greeting card module so that it
plays your voice reminding them to restart the NVR prior to resetting the
alert message.

Sounds like you have one of those customers who refuses to be responsible
for themselves.  I bet when you have told them they need to do something or
asked them a question they even said, "That's what we pay you for."

Suggested alert message, "Hey moron.  You don't pay me enough to sit here
24/7 and restart the NVR for you so get off your ass, start it up, and then
press the reset button on this warning module...  Ah! Ah! Ah!  No, poop for
brains.  I said restart the NVR FIRST!"