Re: OT NVR PC Re-Start

"E DAWSON" <edawson@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:TUWus.32$jZ.27@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "doug" <vssdoug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "ABLE1" <royboynospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I have a PC installed at customers site doing the NVR thing.
>>> Has a UPS for surge protection and a little power backup.  The
>>> problem comes it that the customer does not monitor the system
>>> very often and there seems to be many power outages.  Of course
>>> when the power does go out and the back up drains out the PC
>>> shuts down.  With out the human intervention of pushing the
>>> start button the system does not restart.
>>>
>>> Now that you got a grip of the problem, has anyone know of quick
>>> and/or slick way to start a PC without the human finger??
>>>
>>> Oh, and I know training the customer to visit the PC more
>>> frequently would be a start, but that is a much bigger
>>> challenge.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any input.
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> Most PC's have a setting in the BIOS to restart after a power
>> failure.
>>

>> Doug
>
> Hi,
>
> Depending on the operating system installed in the customer's
> computer, there is also a way to restart the operating system and
> DVR program to boot up completely. You can consult Microsoft's
> website for specific instructions. It is kind of like when you
> clone a drive, the program restarts the computer by itself. This
> way it gives you the ability to input all the passwords that may
> be needed for your customer's computer.
>
> Actually, it's really high time that the customer buys a real
> power backup. We use APC's with huge add-on battery packs that
> provide at least 2 hours of backup for 40 some cams + the
> computer. They are about $400-$600. What's the point of having a
> camera system that is vulnerable to thieves pulling the power
> meter out if you don't have the proper backup power.
>
> Hope this helps you.

The BIOS point is something to investigate.  Never noticed that in
the BIOS in the past but then I was not looking for it.  Now I will
look.  The UPS is a APC.  It was not intended to be a long term back
up.  Mainly surge protection.  At the time of install I did not know
that they had multiple power outages.  Now that I now, things are
going to change.

Thanks for the BIOS thought.

Les