Re: paradox sp5500

On Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:30:36 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote:
> On 13/04/2012 6:40 AM, tourman wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 10:14 am, proguard
>   wrote:
> >> While being a long time away from Paradox panels (from the era of
> >> Esprit and Spectra 14XX) now returning trying to understand SP series.
> >> I define zone 12 witch is on zx8 expander as 36 (entry delay 1 (full
> >> arm)/instant) but the panel does not recognize it at all. The panel is
> >> SP5500 v3.8 Any idea why that? Do i have to programm something else
> >> around?
> >> Also where is located the address for enabling panic buttons on the
> >> keypad?
> >> And for last how we can arm in instant stay mode if i can't programm
> >> the entry/exit zones as 36?
> >> (entry delay 1 (full arm)/instant)
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >> Spyros
> >
> > RHC; Spiros, be very careful to test out all of these new zone
> > definations to make sure they work after you program them. Even
> > Paradox tech support is not sure what each of these new ones actually
> > do and have given us incorrect information on several occasions. For
> > example, zone category 33 is supposed to be "instant", but it doesn't
> > work at all, yet category 24 does That part of the manual is a total
> > screwup - do NOT trust that section of the manual at all.!!
> >
> > I have no idea why Paradox has overly complicated their panels with
> > the addition of so many new and incomprehensible zone definitions. I
> > am going to contact the company and ask that their programming manual
> > be seriously clarified. It seems in trying to make their panels do
> > everything for everyone, they've simply seriously confused their
> > customers.
>=20
> I remember Robert used to extoll the virtues of Napco's umpteen=20
> gazillion zone definitions.  Perhaps Paradox is trying to catch up!  :-)
>=20
> --=20
> Frank Kurz

This sounds a little different.=20
I don't know anything at all about Paradox but it sounds as if they've "pre=
programed" various combinations of zone features into a series of double di=
git numbers. FBI started doing this years ago in their XL series, so you do=
n't have to tick off each feature for each zone.=20

Napco lets (or makes  .... depending upon if you think it's a convenience o=
r not) you choose each feature for each zone. That's one of the features th=
at's part of the convenience (or not) of having the umpteen gazillion defin=
itions and choices. Lot's of people consider this as being too complicated =
to comprehend or don't want to bother to learn it, and don't use Napco beca=
use of it. Most installers now days only have the ability to use the "Alarm=
 panel programing for Dummy's" style of programing. So, in my opinion, I th=
ink that if you can't use a laptop to program a panel then you deserve less=
 versatility in your panels.

I don't often use many of the extra Napco features anymore but .... it's be=
tter to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.=20

For instance I have a job coming up where they want opening and closing sig=
nals but only want one user to have access on certain days and auto arming =
on certain days. I've got to check it out on how to do this but I'm guessin=
g the 9600 can do it.=20

If nothing else, it keeps the brain juices flowing.