Re: paradox sp5500

On Apr 14, 11:14=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:30:36 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote:
> > On 13/04/2012 6:40 AM, tourman wrote:

> > > RHC; Spiros, be very careful to test out all of these new zone
> > > definations to make sure they work after you program them. Even
> > > Paradox tech support is not sure what each of these new ones actually
> > > do and have given us incorrect information on several occasions. For
> > > example, zone category 33 is supposed to be "instant", but it doesn't
> > > work at all, yet category 24 does That part of the manual is a total
> > > screwup - do NOT trust that section of the manual at all.!!
>
> > > I have no idea why Paradox has overly complicated their panels with
> > > the addition of so many new and incomprehensible zone definitions. I
> > > am going to contact the company and ask that their programming manual
> > > be seriously clarified. It seems in trying to make their panels do
> > > everything for everyone, they've simply seriously confused their
> > > customers.
>
> > I remember Robert used to extoll the virtues of Napco's umpteen
> > gazillion zone definitions. =A0Perhaps Paradox is trying to catch up! =
=A0:-)

> > --
> > Frank Kurz
>
> This sounds a little different.
> I don't know anything at all about Paradox but it sounds as if they've "p=
reprogramed" various combinations of zone features into a series of double =
digit numbers. FBI started doing this years ago in their XL series, so you =
don't have to tick off each feature for each zone.

> Napco lets (or makes =A0.... depending upon if you think it's a convenien=
ce or not) you choose each feature for each zone. That's one of the feature=
s that's part of the convenience (or not) of having the umpteen gazillion d=
efinitions and choices. Lot's of people consider this as being too complica=
ted to comprehend or don't want to bother to learn it, and don't use Napco =
because of it. Most installers now days only have the ability to use the "A=
larm panel programing for Dummy's" style of programing. So, in my opinion, =
I think that if you can't use a laptop to program a panel then you deserve =
less versatility in your panels.

> I don't often use many of the extra Napco features anymore but .... it's =
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

> For instance I have a job coming up where they want opening and closing s=
ignals but only want one user to have access on certain days and auto armin=
g on certain days. I've got to check it out on how to do this but I'm guess=
ing the 9600 can do it.

> If nothing else, it keeps the brain juices flowing.

RHC: Paradox may or may not have their reasons for over complicating
their panels this way; however, they should never put out a manual
that is 1- dead wrong, 2- doesn't explain these new changes, and 3-
not teach their tech support guys what the hell these new zone
definitions mean (I've had wrong advice twice now..). If they want to
save costs of printing, all they have to do is put up a downloadable
PDF on their website, which dealers could keep with them, that
explains each zone definition in detail. DSC does that albeit in their
manual; every other manufacturer does that in some fashion, why
doesn't Paradox. These guys keep rushing their technical changes out
to the field so quickly, we can't keep up. Each version of the panel
is somewhat different, and very little is "backward compatible". God
forbid, is they don't stop this shit, I'm going to have to switch over
to DSC as my standard panel (brrrrr....)

I see no reason to celebrate the unnecessary complication of ANYTHING,
let alone zone definitions that are critical to the proper functioning
of an alarm system. The "Dummies Guide to Whatever" is published to
plow through the complexity of the subject matter at hand - the
intention being to simplify the learning curve. Using a laptop helps
in programming; however, Paradox uses a memory key that does a great
job of assisting in hand programming these complex panels making a
laptop far less convenient.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it......