Re: Those Who Have Come and Gone

On Friday, April 6, 2012 11:11:14 PM UTC-4, Just Looking wrote:
> "Jim"  wrote in message=20
>=20
> On Friday, March 30, 2012 10:07:07 AM UTC-4, Unknown wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:56:32 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> > > I have been working on a modestly large network cabling job the last =
few
> > > days.  Usually for the larger jobs I just buy the wire I am going to=
=20
> > > need,
> > > and for the smaller jobs I use the wire I have on the shelf.  Well,=
=20
> > > things
> > > haven't been that busy for network cable jobs, and I decided to go=20
> > > through
> > > the shelves and see what I had in partial boxes.  Turns out I had mor=
e=20
> > > than
> > > enough for the job.  I have Cat 5e cable from a range of years,
> > > distributors, and manufacturers.  Some of them aren't even in busines=
> > > anymore.  Seems in this business I have outlasted a lot of distributo=
rs.=20
> > > think I'm going to go in the house and pour myself a cold one in my K=
ing
> > > Alarm beer mug.  Now if I only had an Arius shot glass I'ld toast my=
=20
> > > luck
> > > and survival with a boiler maker.  LOL.
> >
> > It is amazing in 35+ years I have been doing  how many distributors and=
=20
> > company's have come and gone at one time in Pittsburgh  we had over 50=
=20
> > electrical supply houses and 6 alarm distributors we now have less than=
 a=20
> > dozen electrical and 2 alarm suppliers left and so many manufacturers=
=20
> > either gone or bought out renamed can not even keep track of them
>=20
> It's difficult to keep track of anymore. I still refer to many of them my=
=20
> there "old" names. Like Sentrol, ITI, Ademco.
>=20
> Some of those old names are going to come back now that UTC purchased GE=
=20
> security

I don't know what to think about that. I'm thinking that those names have b=
een gone for a long enough time to have been forgotten or not recognized by=
 all the new people in the trade. So I don't know why they would even go th=
rough the trouble of trying to "re"- market the old names. Also, it's the u=
sual process that when big companies gobble up small companies, for them to=
 absorb their technology and gradually let the name die out. Ultrak, Street=
 Smart and Sontrix come to mind and I know there are dozens more.