Re: Filing Cabinets That Use Electronic Access?

"W" <persistentone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Jim, we don't want padlocks and we don't want electronic locks where a
> single set of digits are typed in to enter.   It's hard to secure keys and
> codes.
>
> We do want a true passcard system where each employee carries a card with
> a unique ID embedded on it, and a central computer system is programmed to
> say which locks that unique ID is allowed to open.
>
> If the employee's card is lost or stolen, you can instantly invalidate it.
>
> --

Let me understand this a little better.

You want to have a $129 - $199 file cabinet protected by a $500 or more card
access system to stop a would be individual from accessing the contents of
said file cabinet to potentially gain knowledge of what???

With out spending the time on a no return on investment brain phart, just
place all of your inexpensive file cabinets with the very important stuff
inside in a secure room with one steel door and put the card access control
on that door and you are done.

As for this statement.
> If the employee's card is lost or stolen, you can instantly invalidate it.

That is not possible.  From the time that the card is REALIZED by the person
that can invalidate the card can it be disabled.  Otherwise it will be
anywhere from minutes to days or more before anyone actually knows that the
card is either lost or stolen.

Life can be much easier and with less stress when practical thoughts are
implemented.

Les