Re: A few more for Nick!

On Sep 17, 10:19=A0pm, "Just Looking" <S...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What about when you "red tag" a fire alarm and send the required paperwor=
> to the AHJ? Even made a follow up phone call to make certain the letter w=
as
> received by the AHJ? Wait, it has been 5 years and the place is still in
> business and the fire alarm panel still has that same red tag right on th=
> front of it. That good old boys club has lots of members besides just the
> installers and maintainers of fire alarm systems.
> Even better; I was at a meeting of a fire alarm association held in a cit=
> owned building. The building's fire system had a red tag on the fire alar=
> panel. I personally took the Fire Marshall over to the panel and asked hi=
> why it has had a red tag on it for nearly a year. He craw fished and acte=
> as if were my faux pas for pointing it out. He said that only installers =
can
> remove the red tag and it should be done by the next inspection period. I=
> is a year later and the tag is still there.
> If things are this bad with regulations, how bad could it get without any=
?

As I say .... with or without inspections .... even by di-associated
companys, it all gets down to who's honest and who is going to do the
right thing ...... or .... not. Government or bureaucratic inspections
only adds false authorization to those who would break the rules
anyway, with or without inspections. And since they're not responsible
for the things that the "miss" what do they have to lose?  Those
installers that do a good job to begin with ...... don't need to be
approved by someone bureaucrat on the take, who would approve a non
conforming installation to begin with. Without any responsibility for
the inspections that they perform, there's nothing to compel them to
be honest. In fact, it's actually condusive to not having to be
honest.